This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWG chapter.

2018 started with some fantastic movies and ended with a spectacular showing of Aquaman (which was amazing to say the least). As the start of the new year goes by, Hollywood movie directors and producers are working hard to create new material for us to watch. Here are the 12 most anticipated movies coming soon to you!

January:

A Dog’s Way Home

Photo by www.adogswayhomeparents.com

Starring actress and political activist Ashley Judd and British actor Jonah Hauer-King, A Dog’s Way Home tells the story of a dog who travels 400 miles after being separated from her owner. It is an adventurous tale filled with heartwarming moments between a dog and a human.

February:

The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part

Photo by The LEGO Movie

This movie is a much-rather anticipated sequel that reunites Emmet, Batman, Lucy and their friends to travel to worlds that have never been explored. Their skills are put to test when they have to stop a new threat from attacking their home. The LEGO Movie 2 hits the cinemas on February 8 so don’t miss it!

March:

Captain Marvel

Photo by Marvel Studios

Actress Brie Larson stars in a new Marvel movie about the mightiest Avenger, Carol Denvars or as she is most known as “Captain Marvel.” Captain Marvel is the first female-led superhero movie produced by Marvel Studios. It is about a former U.S. Air Force fighter pilot who is mixed with an alien DNA that gives her superhuman strength and abilities.

April:

Avengers: Endgame

Photo by Marvel Studios

If you have ever watched an Avenger movie, you’ll know there is a very unique storyline. The first Marvel movie for the Avengers began in 2008 with Iron Man and moved on to introduce The Incredible Hulk, Thor, and the first Avenger film Captain America. The first Avengers film starred Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man, Chris Evans as Captain America, Chris Hemsworth as Thor, Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow, and Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye as Earth’s mightiest heroes to fight against the forces of evil. Marvel Studios then expanded to more characters when Guardian of the Galaxy came out. Chris Pratt stars as Peter Quill to protect the galaxy from bad people. In Avengers: Infinity War, Guardian of the Galaxy member Gamora’s father Thanos is trying to wipe out people out of existence. With all of these hereos combined, they try to stop Thanos from taking over the world. However, some heroes are lost due to the destruction caused by Thanos. Avengers: Endgame is the aftermath of what Thanos did. The remaining Avengers are going to try to save the world and put it back together again.

May:

Aladdin

Photo by @disneyaladdin

Aladdin is an upcoming live-action remake of the Disney animated film Aladdin. Just like the animation, the movie follows the story of a street rat and thief that goes by the name of Aladdin (hence the title). He steals a lamp but finds himself freeing a genie from it. The one who sets the genie free is allowed three wishes. With these three wishes, Aladdin is able to achieve things he never thought was possible. However, he encounters an evil sorceror who has other plans with the lamp. Follow the journey of Aladdin as he tries to protect the genie and save the land of Agrabah from the evil sorceror.

June:

Toy Story 4

Photo by DisneyPixar

This film has been highly anticipated as one of the best films to be made for 2019. It is a continuation and sequel to Toy Story, Toy Story 2 and Toy Story 3. The third installation ended when the toys were being given to Bonnie Anderson by Andy. Toy Story 4 will talk of new friendships being made and a new journey for the toys.

July:

Spider-Man: Far From Home

Photo by Marvel Studios

*Warning: If you have not seen Avengers: Infinity War, DO NOT read* Avengers: Infinity War ends with young Peter Parker disappearing from the world. However, because of this next chapter of his movie, we can only assume that he returns in Avengers: Endgame. Spider-Man: Far From Home takes Peter Parker and his friends on a school trip to Europe. He had hoped to leave his suit at home but Director Fury of the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. has asked for his help to help with creature attacks that are creating chaos. 

August:

The New Mutants

Photo by Fox Movies

A group of five young mutants are held in a secret facility against their will. They have just become to discover their new powers. Using these abilities, they fight to escape the facility and save themselves.

September:

It: Chapter Two

Photo by Director Andy Muschietti

There is no better way to describe this film from the words of the Warner Bros. themselves. “Twenty-seven years after the deaths and incidental mayhem the creature caused in 1989, It returns. The Losers’ Club fulfill their promises and return to Derry to put an end to the creature once and for all.”

October:

Joker

Official Trailer

Everyone knows the story of Batman and his evil nemesis Joker. However, no one really knows how the Joker came to be. Follow the story of his life that started in 1981 where he fails to be a stand-up comedian. After this failure, he is tossed aside by society and he turns his anger to live a life of crime in the city where Batman is born, Gotham City.

November:

Frozen 2

The first Frozen film has been one of the best Disney animated films to come out. It is not your typical Disney princess film with the girl falling fast in love with the prince. Frozen tells the story of two sisters, Anna and Elsa, are challenged when a prince with evil intentions tries to steal their home, the kingdom of Arendelle. It does not help when everyone is scared of Elsa (who has just been named Queen) when she is revealed to have ice powers. Frozen 2 continues their story as the two sisters travel far from home on an adventurous journey.

December:

Star Wars: Episode IX

There is not much on what is to happen in Episode IX of the continuation of this classic series. All we know that it is set to be one year after The Force Awakens. The lovely Carrie Fisher (who is sadly no longer with us) will reprise her role as Princess Leia/General Organa. It is said that she had already filmed her part for this film or it may be CGI. I can’t wait for this movie to hit the theaters so I can see for myself!

Don’t miss out on these highly anticipated movies! Happy viewing!

Victoria is a senior at the University of West Georgia. She is an English major with a minor in Mass Communications. She loves fashion, coffee, reading, writing and all things related to motorcycles.