Your Complete Guide to UWF Homecoming

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWF chapter.

Homecoming week is a six-day fest for UWF students, alumni and faculty to celebrate UWF and encourage Argo pride. There are many events that go on during this week, and it’s important to pay attention to the schedule so you don’t miss out on all the fun.

Day 1: Monday, October 17

Transform the Campus (11 a.m. – 1 p.m.) located on the Cannon Greens and Library Steps

To get the ball rolling on Homecoming week the Homecoming Committee and different student organizations cover the campus in blue and green. Monday also starts the first day of the Golden Fleece Challenge (week long competition to show who has the most school spirit) for the student organizations and friend groups that signed up.  There will also be tabling on campus for free Homecoming promo items such as koozies, cups, and shirts. (YAY for free Argo stuff!!)

Day 2: Tuesday, October 18

Cannon Fest (11 a.m. – 2 p.m.) located on the Cannon Green

Day two is a huge picnic on the Cannon Green. This is one event you won’t want to miss. Not only do you get to socialize with your friends and professors (yes they actually have lives out of the classroom) but there will also be music, games and free food. I repeat, free food!

They will be serving hamburgers, hotdogs and veggie burgers out on the Cannon Green. Free food is always a perk, but if that isn’t enough to convince you, there will be fun activities and booths you can visit to kill some time in between your classes.

Day 3: Wednesday, October 19

Colchis (7:30 p.m. – 10 p.m.) located in the Field House

Colchis is UWF’s biggest concert of the year. This homecoming, the headlining artist is Waka Flocka Flame. Yep, you read that right! Waka Flocka Flame will be performing in the UWF Field House this week.

Any current UWF student with a Nautilus Card can attend this event for free. General public admission will be a $10 entry, cash only. So, make sure you don’t lose your Nautilus Card this week because you have the opportunity to jam out to Waka Flocka Flame for free with your fellow Argos. Because for one night, we are the University of Waka Flocka.

Day 4: Thursday, October 20

Cardboard Boat Race (8:30 p.m.) located in the Aquatic Center

At this event you get to watch the teams participating in the Golden Fleece Challenge attempt to sail cardboard boats across the school pool. Teams will compete to see whose boat can make it across the pool without sinking, in the fastest time. If you are in need of a good laugh, this is the perfect event to attend. Nothing is funnier than seeing one of your friends try to paddle across the pool in a cardboard box held together by duct tape.

Day 5: Friday, October 21

Nautilus Market (11a.m. – 2.p.m.)

Friday there are several different things happening on campus. Earlier in the day, students can play trivia, corn hole and compete for prizes in the Nautilus Market.

Men’s and Women’s Soccer Game (5 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.) located at the Soccer Complex

Volleyball Game (6 p.m.) located in the Field House

Get ready for soccer and volley ball Friday night for an opportunity to cheer on the teams and show your Argo pride. Not only do you get to enjoy a good game of soccer and volleyball, but each event is doing something special for the UWF students who attend.

Those who attend the Men’s and Women’s Soccer games will have the chance to win a Homecoming football game-day prize package. Students who attend the volleyball match will earn triple Argo Armada points when they check in to the event.

Day 6: Saturday, October 22

Tailgate (8 a.m.) located at Maritime Park

The last day of Homecoming is going to be a very busy day, so make sure to clear your schedules because it’s something you won’t want to miss. Tailgating for the Homecoming game starts as soon after the sun comes up at 8 a.m.

The football tailgate is a great way to socialize and to show your school spirit. At 9:45 a.m. during the tailgate, students and the community can participate in the Argo Walk by cheering for the football players as they walk into the stadium

Football Game (12 p.m.) located at Maritime Park

At noon, the football game begins. In order to attend the football game, you will need to have a ticket, so make sure to plan ahead and purchase one or enter the Argo Armada lottery (if you’re a UWF student) to get a ticket.

Volleyball Games (4 p.m. and 8 p.m.) located in the Field House

Then following the game back on campus, there will be another volleyball match for you to cheer and show your Argo pride at. 

So now that you know what events are going on during Homecoming week, it’s time to whip out your planner and get ready to show that Argo pride. Go Argos!

REP image, 1, 2, 3

Abigail is a Journalism and Political Science major minoring in Spanish. She has a penchant for puns and can't go a morning without listening to NPR's Up First podcast. You can usually find her dedicating time to class work, Her Campus, College to Congress, SGA or hammocking. Her dream job is working as a television broadcast journalist on a major news network. Down time includes TED talk binges, reading and writing. You can follow Abigail on instagram and Twitter @abi_meggs