Why We Should Just Say No to Big Oil

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWF chapter.

672,000 gallons. Susan Roesgen from WGNO ABC news reported, “An estimated 672,000 gallons of oil were introduced by LLOG Exploration Company to the Gulf of Mexico on October 14th.” According to the US Geological Survey, 672,000 gallons of oil equates to about 12,540 bathtubs full of oil. 672,000 gallons of oil will impact the Gulf’s ecosystems on a geological timescale unfathomable to humans. This oil spill is being reported as the biggest since the Deep Water Horizon Disaster in 2010, and yet offshore drilling is still promoted and supported.

There are many debated statements centered around the Gulf of Mexico’s offshore drilling; “Offshore drilling would decrease the USA’s dependence on oil from the Middle-East, offshore drilling provides jobs to those unemployed, offshore drilling boosts the economy, offshore drilling is a safe practice, etc.” Florida natives have heard it all. Bottom line, offshore drilling isn’t worth it. There are too many precious resources to lose while attempting to feed America’s oil consumption.

Here in Pensacola, many are still fighting the battle against offshore drilling. With President Trump’s election, offshore drilling became a repeated threat to the coasts of Florida. Organizations such as Oceana, NOAA, The Sierra Club and more have all mobilized to defend against the leasing of Florida’s coast for offshore drilling. Oceana states that not only will offshore drilling risk the lives of marine organisms, but that it also puts Florida’s economy at risk. Last time I checked tourists are not flocking to Florida to see oil covered beaches.  This past May, many came out to a Hands Across the Sand event held at Pensacola Beach. This event sought to protest the possibility of offshore drilling in the Eastern region of the Gulf of Mexico.

Image via 350 Pensacola

Right now, the Eastern Gulf of Mexico is protected by an offshore drilling ban set by the Obama administration in 2010. Unfortunately, this Congressional Moratorium is set to expire in 2022.

Image via Mintz Levin

As offshore drilling becomes more of an impending threat I hope that you will join in the growing opposition against it. Write your congressional leaders, get educated on the facts about offshore drilling and make your voice heard. Oceana says it the best: “Drill. Spill. Repeat?” It’s time that Americans take on the responsibility of being environmental stewards. Let’s stand for what is right and start moving toward a better energy solution.

Cover image via The Florida Times Union

Nature lover, turtle fanatic and forever passionate about the environment. I'm an environmental science major and would love to travel the world expereincing all of Earth's environments. I hope to share my love for the world through the written word.