Why Relay for Life Is So Important

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWF chapter.

When you think of someone who is fighting cancer, you probably imagine their bald head first. Then you consider the patient’s family; just the thought of losing a loved one, a friend, or even an acquaintance to cancer is heartbreaking. Maybe you know that chemotherapy makes the patient vomit uncontrollably and it destroys their immune system. You might even recognize other side effects such as loss of memory and exhaustion. But that’s as much as the general public understands about the fight against cancer. No one truly “gets” the oncology wing of the hospital until they find themselves in it.

What many people don’t consider about cancer patients is the financial impossibilities that they face. Yes, impossibilities. Imagine accruing so much debt that it could pay for a newly renovated, four-story oceanfront home with marble flooring throughout. Imagine paying a hospital that much money just so that you don’t die. If you’re wealthy, it’s an enormous hole in your pocket. If you’re financially struggling, it’s everything you had and will have.

Charitable organizations and events like Relay for Life keep the world turning for families affected by illness such as cancer. These organizations fund research for a cure, pay for transportation to and housing near treatment centers, and even help pay for hospital bills. They also raise awareness about the struggle of fighting cancer, which is essential to ending the fight. Without someone out there saying, “Hey! This is a problem and we can help!” there would be little hope for many families.

Her Campus UWF is joining the fight, raising funds and awareness with Relay for Life of UWF on April 21st, 2017. Why did we choose this cause? Because the majority of us have been affected by cancer in some way. We understand the oncology wing of the hospital and we don’t want anyone else to be admitted there.

Her Campus UWF Relays for Life because…

“Losing six people that I love very much has made me understand that something needs to be done and that no one is immune. Sometimes, even years after you think it’s over it can come back and destroy a family again . . . Relay is important because it does go to a good cause . . . Relay has made me realize that there are people who are still fighting. People who are winning. And people who have won. I hate using the “war” aspect of cancer, but it fits in a poetic sense of something that is very far from poetry.”

“As a cancer survivor, I still feel the effects of the trauma that is cancer. Physically, financially, and psychologically, cancer crushed me and my family. We’ve nearly bounced back but not all families have that privilege. I will always fight for a cure and try to ease the pain of this disease.”

“We found out he had cancer in the lungs and brain . . . He is attending Relay for Life today . . . to spend one last day in a celebratory environment with the people he loves. For one last time, he got to see people working so hard to make sure no one else has to go through what he is going through. And the family, they get to see him smile and enjoy himself. For a moment they can take their mind off of his imminent passing . . . The best gift I could ever give him is to be at that event. Fighting. Fundraising. So that no one else has to worry about maybe missing finals for a funeral.”

To help Her Campus UWF reach its goal of raising $1,000, please follow this link to donate! Thank you for your support!

You'll find me in my hammock between classes, drooling over volcano sushi rolls, or cross stitching in silence. I'm a maritime studies student with a dream of working on oceanic documentaries or founding Atlantis, whichever comes first.