This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWF chapter.

With Homecoming being this week, you’re probably extremely excited for many things. Transforming the campus Monday, Cannon Fest Tuesday, football on Saturday and let’s not forget about Colchis Wednesday. But hold on, what is Colchis? Why are we having a concert called Colchis? Who is Waka Flocka Flame? Her Campus is here to answer your questions.

Who is Waka Flocka Flame?

Waka Flocka Flame is an American rapper from Atlanta, Georgia. His most popular songs are “No Hands,” “Oh let’s do it,” and “Hard in da Paint.” He is performing for this year’s Homecoming concert on Wednesday, Oct 19 at 9:30 p.m.

How Do I Pronounce “Colchis”?

Colchis is pronounced [Kol-kis] and was an ancient country off the coast of the Black Sea.

What Does Colchis Mean?

In Greek mythology, Jason and the Argonauts celebrated capturing the golden fleece in a kingdom called- you guessed it- Colchis.

How does this apply to UWF Homecoming week?

During this year’s homecoming week, student organizations on campus (Argos) will participate in a week-long competition for the “golden fleece” and all Argos celebrate on Wednesday at Colchis with Waka Flocka Flame.

What’s the full story of Jason and the Argonauts?

Jason was a hero in Greek mythology and the most notable quest he completed was finding the golden fleece. Jason assembled a crew of heroes known as the Argonauts and sailed on a ship called the Argo. 

Jason and the Argos arrive in Colchis to claim the fleece. The fleece was held by Aeetes who would only give it Jason after he completed three tasks. He had to first plow a field with fire-breathing oxen, and yoke them himself, then destroy an army that came from the teeth of the oxen, and finally, defeat the sleepless dragon that guarded the fleece.

He did all of this and then sailed off with Medea, the king’s daughter who escaped by killing her brother and throwing his body in parts into the sea that Aeetes stopped to pick up.

To find out more about the journey of the Argonauts, you can go here. 

UWF Homecoming

Homecoming is a week to show your school spirit and have fun with friends! Colchis is Wednesday, Oct 19 at 9 p.m., with doors opening at 7:30 p.m. It’s free, but remember space is limited so get there early! Have fun at Colchis with Waka Flocka Flame and we hope to see you there!

1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5

Allyana Adnike Williams was born on January 8th, 1999 in Manchester, Jamaica. She lived in Jamaica till she was 5, moved to New York and lived there until she was 9 and then she moved down to the sunny state of Florida where she currently resides Her hobbies include singing, reading, writing and helping others in anyway possible. She attends the University of West Florida in Pensacola and is Majoring in Political Science Pre-law. She wishes to become an attorney and one day hopes to hold the title of Attorney General of the United States.