UWF Theatre’s Juliet: Rebecca Douglas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWF chapter.

Name: Rebecca Douglas

Hometown: New Port Richey, FL 

Major: Musical Theatre

Class: Freshman

The UWF Theatre Department is presenting “Romeo and Juliet” at the Saengar Theatre April 14, 7:30, and April 15, 2:30. The familiar Shakespearean romance just wouldn’t be the same without the iconic and self-sacrificing heroine we all have come to love. In each version, the actress who plays Juliet has a important role in making sure that character comes to life. Her Campus UWF snagged an interview with Rebecca Douglas, an up-and-commming musical theatre student, who will play Juliet. 

Photo courtesy Rebecca Douglas.

Her Campus UWF: Can you tell us what it’s like to play such an iconic character like Shakespeare’s Juliet?

Rebecca Douglas: I’ve had an incredible time portraying the role of Juliet. There is so much depth to her character, and it’s been an exciting journey working on really developing her character and figuring out who she is. 

HCUWF: What are the best and worst parts of being Juliet?

RD: The best part about playing Juliet would be just how iconic the character and the show is. I never thought I’d have an opportunity to play a lead from one of the most iconic plays in all of theatre history. There are no bad parts about playing Juliet! 

HCUWF: How has it been working with the rest of the cast and crew?

RD: Also working with the amazing cast and crew, everyone is so talented and dedicated. Everyone works so hard and we all work so well together and the roles fit everyone like a glove.

HCUWF: What is your past theatre experience?

RD: My past theatre experience includes “The Little Mermaid” as Ariel, “Into the Woods” as Rapunzel, “High School Musical” as Gabriella Montez, and “A Christmas Carol” as Belle. 

Photo courtesy Rebecca Douglas.

HCUWF: What makes you unique?

RD: This is my first time working on a Shakespeare play, and I think it is special that I was given this opportunity as a Freshman. 

HCUWF: Do you have plans after graduation?

RD: After graduation, I plan on pursuing theatre as a career. I plan on doing regional theatre all over the U.S. and eventually, one day, I will end up in New York. 

HCUWF: If you could play any role in any performance, whom would it be and why?

RD: Oh boy! This question is super hard! There are so many roles and every role is individual and unique. You can take and learn so much from every role. I would love to play Bonnie Parker from “Bonnie and Clyde” one day. That is, for sure, one of my favorite musicals. Or [I’d like to play] Belle from “Beauty and the Beast.” There are so many that it’s hard to narrow it down. 

Abigail is a Journalism and Political Science major minoring in Spanish. She has a penchant for puns and can't go a morning without listening to NPR's Up First podcast. You can usually find her dedicating time to class work, Her Campus, College to Congress, SGA or hammocking. Her dream job is working as a television broadcast journalist on a major news network. Down time includes TED talk binges, reading and writing. You can follow Abigail on instagram and Twitter @abi_meggs