“Suit Up” is Bringing Affordable, Professional Clothing to UWF Students this Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWF chapter.

As a college student one of the most nerve-racking moments is when you start looking for a post-degree job. Interviews can often be a foreign and uncomfortable unknown.  According to Creative Group, 69 percent of employers surveyed said that wearing improper attire to an interview would be a deal breaker. While we all know wearing the right attire is important, purchasing it can often be costly. Students at UWF wil be seeing a solution to this problem in the Spring thanks to a program called “Suit Up.” 

“Suit Up” is a partnership between JCPenney and universities across the country. It gives students the opportunity to purchase work-wear at a discounted cost. It’s a semesterly event that happens at a college’s local JCPenney store on a Sunday night. Students arrive at the store and receive a 40 percent off coupon to purchase any professional clothing items in the store.  That discount can be stacked on sales already going on in the store, meaning some items will be up to 70 percent off. Male attire could be purchased for $120 and female for around $80. That estimate also includes shoes. 

Image courtesy of Baylor University

Many schools including The University of North Carolina Greensboro, Northern Arizona University, The University of Georgia, Kent State and others have already participated in JCP’s program.  

This initiative began when Abigail Megginson, a junior majoring in journalism and political science at UWF, sought to find a way to lessen the financial burden associated with college students purchasing interview attire.

“We often ask students to dress professionally for interviews and career opportunities without even thinking about the financial barriers many students face when having to purchase them. Work-wear is just so expensive,” Abigail says. “Suit Up is great because the discount gives students a chance to afford that last thing they need in order to reach their goals after graduation.”

Megginson gained the support of Dr. Saunders, President of UWF, and Dr. Leduff, Vice President for Academic Engagement and Chief Diversity Officer. Saunders pledged $10,000 of her personal funds to promote success through  “Suit Up”.

In addition to the discount program, Megginson knew that there would still be a need for financial support. She shared, “Through the generosity of donors, the program will also provide need and merit based scholarships to students who truly need it.”  Students will be able to apply for a gift-card-allotted scholarship through career services. When applying, the student will be asked share a personal bio and why they deserve the scholarship through video response.

If you’re interested in participating in JCPenney’s “Suit Up” event mark your calendar for Sunday, Feb. 25. The event will be held from 6:30 to 10 p.m. at JCPenney in the University Plaza on Davis Highway.  You can gain entrance to the event and a coupon using your UWF Nautilus Card. JCPenney employees will also be available to help with sizing and taking measurements. Additionally, career services will be looking for faculty and staff to help volunteer for the event. If you are interested in volunteering you may contact Lindsie Walk at lwalk@uwf.edu.

Cover photo courtesy of WEAR

Nature lover, turtle fanatic and forever passionate about the environment. I'm an environmental science major and would love to travel the world expereincing all of Earth's environments. I hope to share my love for the world through the written word.