An Open Letter to My Freshman Self

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWF chapter.

So it’s senior year, and you’re not the same girl that came from 10 hours away knowing nobody and knowing nothing. After three years, you’ve learned a lot of things.

First, let me tell you that boys, they’re going to break your heart. That’s just what they do. You will fall head over heels for a boy freshman year, and it might hurt. But he is not the one. If I could go back, I would tell you to run away as fast as you can because he’s going to be the best and worst thing to happen to you.

Remember to call mom everyday. She loves you. You won’t admit it, but you miss her too. Dad won’t call you unless you call him, but understand that both of them love you and are there for you no matter how far away they are.

Grab on to every opportunity you get no matter how small it may seem. It will lead to bigger opportunities. You may think that you know exactly what you want to do. Well, you will be laughing at graduation because you will end up in a totally different spot. Just an FYI, go to the library and lock yourself in a carrel because you have the attention span of a goldfish, sorry.

Remember to dance like there is no tomorrow, but your dance skills won’t get any better no matter how many times you go to Greg’s. Go out, have fun, get a little tipsy and dance like nobody’s watching.

Don’t let others dictate what you do or who you love because in the end all that matters is that you’re happy. Don’t forget that. Remember to smile even when days get hard,and remember to look for joy in everything you do.

The people you meet freshman year may not stick around for long, but it’s part of the process just trust it, because I promise you are going to do some great things. You will lose friends, but in return, you are going to find your forever people. Hold on to them because they love you no matter what mistakes you make along the way.

Finally, remember that God will never take anything away from you without the intention of replacing it with something better.

Jenny is our fearless Her Campus UWF President. She gets to call Naples, FL her hometown and Pensacola her home away from home. Jenny is majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Spanish and International Studies. When she isn't writing articles, you can find her watching The Office, petting puppies, or planning her next road trip!
Gina Castro is a junior at the University of West Florida where she is double majoring in English Literature and Journalism. She is currently the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UWF and an editorial intern for Ballinger Publishing. Since her sophomore year, she has been an active member of her university's Her Campus chapter. When she's not researching new stories to write articles about, she is watching knitting tutorials or obsessing over Toni Morrison.