Meaghan Boggs: Leaving a Legacy at UWF

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWF chapter.

Meaghan Boggs’ endless passion for UWF and leadership has not gone unnoticed. She received the Legacy Award from Fraternity and Sorority Life at UWF’s Student Leadership Awards ceremony after spending much of her college career giving back to the university. Not only has Meaghan served as Panhellenic President, she has also worked as a student admissions representative, vice president of member experience in Alpha Gamma Delta, and a morale captain on UWF’s Dance Marathon, just to name a few.

Her Campus UWF: What are some of the things you are most proud of accomplishing here at UWF?

Meaghan Boggs: Being part of the 2018 morale team and seeing the huge impact that Dance Marathon has on our campus and in our community is one of the things that I am most proud of. During my time as Panhellenic President during recruitment on one of the potential new member nights we had a pajama party. The girls were able to raise money for a program that assists in giving educations to girls in third world countries and talk about what this meant to them. The girls were [able] to not only bond but also help others. At first I didn’t want to come to UWF and being able to finally understand why I’m here and that UWF is home has to be one of my greatest accomplishments.

HC UWF: What has motivated you to be involved on campus?

MB: If you are miserable and wallow in your misery then you will continue to be miserable. At first I didn’t want to come to UWF but life circumstances landed me here. I’m from the area so I thought it would be just like high school and there would be nothing new for me here, but somewhere along the way I got a good life kick, and I realized that there was no point in being miserable. I started telling myself “take it one more day,” with everything I did I would give it one more day. I had this gift of time, and I realized it that I needed to give back to a school that had given me so much.

HC UWF: What is the Legacy Award and what does it mean to you?

MB: The legacy award is part of the leadership awards given by different departments. My award was given by the Fraternity and Sorority Life department. The award is given to someone who had made their mark at UWF. I was not expecting the award, being Panhellenic President was one of the hardest challenges. I learned so much about myself and others and dedicated my time and energy to serving others. I constantly had a voice in my head reminding me to not mess up, and to do the best that I could. Receiving the award meant that someone recognized that work that I was able to do and that someone believed in me. For me, receiving the award is about honoring those who came before me because it is there legacy that I look up to. It is they who shaped me as a leader [and] taught me what a person could do.

HC UWF: Who have been your biggest supporters during your time at UWF?

MB: It has to be Vicky Weekley, Ashley Sepessy, my sisters and family, and my football boys.

HC UWF: What quote do you live by?

MB: “The world offers you comfort but you are not made for comfort you are made for greatness.” by Pope Benedict.

HC UWF: What will you miss about UWF and what are your plans for the future?

MB: I will miss the people. I am graduating in December and will be taking the nursing exam. I ultimately want to leave Pensacola and become a mission nurse.

HC UWF: Finally, as a soon to be UWF graduate, what would you tell incoming students?

MB: I would say take it one more day and work hard because it will get better. I would tell students and humans in general, don’t worry about happiness look for joy you can find joy in anything that you do. 

Pictures courtesy of Meaghan Boggs.

Jenny is our fearless Her Campus UWF President. She gets to call Naples, FL her hometown and Pensacola her home away from home. Jenny is majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Spanish and International Studies. When she isn't writing articles, you can find her watching The Office, petting puppies, or planning her next road trip!
Abigail is a Journalism and Political Science major minoring in Spanish. She has a penchant for puns and can't go a morning without listening to NPR's Up First podcast. You can usually find her dedicating time to class work, Her Campus, College to Congress, SGA or hammocking. Her dream job is working as a television broadcast journalist on a major news network. Down time includes TED talk binges, reading and writing. You can follow Abigail on instagram and Twitter @abi_meggs