I’m 21 & More Qualified to Be Secretary of Education Than Betsy DeVos

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWF chapter.

Betsy DeVos was just confirmed to be our nation’s Secretary of Education on February 7, 2017. She has been the cause of much debate. The senate was actually tied in its confirmation vote which led Vice President Pence to cast his vote, in DeVos favor, to break the tie. Many people feel that she is not qualified in any way to hold her position. I happen to agree that she is extremely underqualified. After reading these reasons, I think you will agree that even I would be better suited for the job.

1. I actually went to public school

Let me just start here. I attended the public school system from kindergarten until I graduated high school in 2013. Then I entered a public university, which I am about to graduate from in the spring. This sets me apart from DeVos because she, nor her family, have ever attended a public school. Her position literally has her in charge of all schooling in the nation, 90 percent of which are public schools. Ninety percent of which she has no experience with and can’t relate to at all.

2. I’ve studied education

Betsy DeVos earned her bachelor’s degree in 1979 from Calvin College. It was business economics. Yes, you read that right. Our current Secretary of Education has no experience with education. No education degree, or even a minor.

Past nominees have served as teachers, school system leaders, governors, and all have had executive experience. So, a Secretary of Education with no educational background whatsoever, is unprecedented. I am about to graduate with a minor in education, and special education. Both of which required me to complete practicum hours in a public school.

3. I have more prior experience

We have already discussed how DeVos has neither personal nor professional experience in education. Could there possibly be another aspect that makes her qualified for such a high position? Betsy DeVos was the former chair of the Michigan Republican Party, which does give her some leadership skills and qualities. However, I still do not think this makes up for her complete lack of knowledge in the realm of education.

I have family members who work on many levels in the public school system. My aunt is a vice-principal at an elementary school, my grandmother serves as a teacher’s aide in a special needs pre-kindergarten classroom, and my cousin is a high school English teacher. I have heard of a plethora of different educational, issues, challenges, and rewards through my family and their different experiences. I believe this alone trumps DeVos’ “experience.”

No matter whether I’m better qualified or than our current secretary of education or not, Betsy DeVos is has been confirmed.

However, instead of letting this get you down, there are things you can still do to help be a proponent for our school systems. Get involved locally and volunteer with organizations that help public schools, run for your local school board, and most importantly vote! 

Photo courtesy ABC News.

Abigail is a Journalism and Political Science major minoring in Spanish. She has a penchant for puns and can't go a morning without listening to NPR's Up First podcast. You can usually find her dedicating time to class work, Her Campus, College to Congress, SGA or hammocking. Her dream job is working as a television broadcast journalist on a major news network. Down time includes TED talk binges, reading and writing. You can follow Abigail on instagram and Twitter @abi_meggs