Haley McQueen: President of SEAS

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWF chapter.

Name: Haley McQueen

Major: Environmental Science: Natural Science Track

Hometown: Palm Coast, FL

Classification: Class of 2019

It’s hard to think of someone on campus who is more passionate about the environment than Haley McQueen. As president of the Student Environmental Action Society, she has dedicated her free time to serving the campus community by conserving and protecting the earth. From balancing her workload as an environmental science major and her responsibilities as a campus leader, we wanted to know how she does it all while staying green.

Her Campus UWF: For those who don’t know about SEAS, can you give a summary of the organization?

Haley McQueen: The Student Environmental Action Society (SEAS) is a student organization that aims in educating the UWF population and the local community about environmental issues. SEAS hopes to encourage sustainable consumption, promote environmental awareness and community outreach, recycling and waste reduction, community service, and community action to influence change.

HC UWF: How did you initially get involved with SEAS?

HM: I found out about SEAS from a flyer that was in the commons. I passed by the advertisement as a Freshman and had to find out what SEAS was all about. I fell in love at the first meeting and the rest is history.

HC UWF: Why is it important on campus?

HM: SEAS carries an important voice for the environment here at UWF. As a student organization, we have tackled some serious issues here on campus and will continue to do so. Additionally, SEAS is also known in the community for volunteering and supporting local environmental groups. 

HC UWF: How can students interested in the environmental conservation get involved?

HM: Getting involved with SEAS is extremely simple. We hold weekly meetings where upcoming activities and projects are discussed. Our upcoming events and information can also be found on Instagram, Facebook and Argopulse. There are no dues, GPA requirements or major requirements with SEAS either.

HC UWF: What made you want to pursue a leadership role within SEAS?

HM: The main reason I wanted to hold leadership in SEAS was because I wanted to make an impact. I wholeheartedly believe in the SEAS mission and protecting the environment. I hope that by being a leader I can motivate others to build a passion for the environment and nature, too.

HC UWF: Can you talk a little bit about green fee and the role SEAS plays in making that happen?

HM: Green Fee, also known as the Student Green Energy Fund, is a program in place here at UWF that takes a small portion of student tuition to fund projects that promote energy efficiency and sustainability on the UWF campus. Proposals from students, faculty and staff are accepted yearly. Currently the application for Green Fee proposals is open on Argopulse and will close on Oct. 1. Get your proposals in, Argos!

HC UWF: What do you want to do after you graduate?

HM: To be honest, I haven’t quite figured that out. I will be graduating fall 2019 with my Master’s degree in environmental science from UWF and my main goal after that is to pursue my PhD. Currently, I’m debating on if I should take time off to work in the industry before heading back to school or just jumping right into it. 

HC UWF: What’s your favorite thing to do to stay green?

HM: One of my favorite things to do is use my own water bottle. A reusable water bottle is one of simplest ways someone can keep plastic out of landfills.

HC UWF: Do you have a favorite quote or mantra you live by?

HM: “Vincit Qui Se Vincit.” This saying comes from Beauty and the Beast. It’s Latin and translates into, “He conquers who conquers himself.”

All photos are courtesy of Haley McQueen.

Abigail is a Journalism and Political Science major minoring in Spanish. She has a penchant for puns and can't go a morning without listening to NPR's Up First podcast. You can usually find her dedicating time to class work, Her Campus, College to Congress, SGA or hammocking. Her dream job is working as a television broadcast journalist on a major news network. Down time includes TED talk binges, reading and writing. You can follow Abigail on instagram and Twitter @abi_meggs