Guide to Handling a Busy Schedule

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWF chapter.

As a Pre-professional biology major enrolled in 17 credits hours who works on research and also stays active in several different organizations, I know what it’s like to want to cry when you open your planner for the first time in the morning. If you’re thinking about living a busy life in college, there are a few things you might want to know going in.

1. Something has to give

http://images-cdn.moviepilot.com/

Although it’s great to imagine a world where you get everything done in 16 hours and then get a full eight hours of sleep, along with three hours devoted to the sacred art of eating, it just isn’t going to happen. The times where you can say, “It’s 10 o’clock, I can go to bed!” are the days you will cherish.

2. BUT you can ease this predicament with a planner

It doesn’t matter what type of planner you use – google calendar, paper binder, etc.- anything where you can plan how you are going to utilize every available moment of the day. Otherwise you may end up forgetting to eat lunch, and that is a tragedy.                                                       

3. Find a studying strategy that works for you

Next to your health, your classes should come first. You are paying for those classes after all. I personally have an app that has set study time/work time and break time. It stops me from studying six hours straight, so I don’t overload myself. It also keeps me from having a three-hour break. Everyone processes information differently. Are you a morning person? Are you a kinesthetic learner? Your first semesters are a good time to figure out the type of studier you are. This will help keep your stress at a minimum.                    

4. EAT!

The worst thing you can do is ignore your body’s needs. When you do get the rare opportunity to sleep enough, do it. Don’t try to sustain yourself on candy, like I did my first semester. It won’t end well. Remember why you are doing this

5. Remember why you are so busy in the first place

In the end, nothing will keep you from giving up like thinking about your goals. They will push you forward when nothing and no one else can. If your life goals aren’t a driving force for you, maybe you need to find something you are more passionate about.

No one can give you the secrets to an equilibrium in life because that differs person to person, but there is nothing wrong with relying on other people, apps and even articles like this to shape your own way of achieving your goals. 

Abigail is a Journalism and Political Science major minoring in Spanish. She has a penchant for puns and can't go a morning without listening to NPR's Up First podcast. You can usually find her dedicating time to class work, Her Campus, College to Congress, SGA or hammocking. Her dream job is working as a television broadcast journalist on a major news network. Down time includes TED talk binges, reading and writing. You can follow Abigail on instagram and Twitter @abi_meggs