This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWF chapter.

Swiping right for love has become one of the leading pastimes for singles hoping to find that special someone. But we may find ourselves asking: “Which dating app is better and actually worth my time?” Bumble or Tinder? It would help to have a heads-up on which app could provide you with a new bae.

Determining the success rate of dating apps seems to be nearly impossible because of how differently everyone defines “success.” Does success mean an actual first date or just a hookup? A long-term relationship or a conversation that does not involve any uncomfortable comments from a guy? While success varies from person to person, the differences are hard to miss when it comes to comparing dating apps.

Bumble’s users are quick to let anyone know that Bumble is better because the app comes with a lot less baggage than Tinder. The app works the same way as Tinder does: you sign up, set up your account, then begin swiping to find a potential match. Speaking of swiping, Bumble allots you three backtracks for those accidental left swipes. But the key difference is that only women can make the first move, and only within 24-hours of being matched. A little known fact about Bumble is that the dating app was specifically created to give women a space where they are the ones in control.

Another difference, Bumble has a lot less runaround than with Tinder. The probability that your match will actually talk to you is much greater, instead of being ignored like you would on Tinder. This is partly because all matches expire within 24-hours so people cannot just go on the app to get matches in order to boost their confidence. They actually have to put forth the effort and engage with people. Furthermore, users tend to find more people on the app that are looking for a serious relationship because of the 24-hour conversation period.

Others say that Tinder is better because everyone who is anyone is on Tinder. The likelihood that you will get matched to someone is higher because of the large number of people using the app. The only downside is that you have to swipe through so many people to find the perfect match for you, but at least you have plenty of options. And as for Tinders’ users, they are usually just looking for hookups and very casual dating.

Whether you are just looking for someone to take home, a safe space free of uncomfortable conversations, or maybe just someone to call bae, there are both good and bad aspects when it comes to using dating apps.

Tianna is currently attending UWF where she majors in English, Liberal Arts. She is a new writer that has tons of positivity and wit. In her free time, she enjoys listening to TED talks and obsessing over the latest skincare products.
Gina Castro is a junior at the University of West Florida where she is double majoring in English Literature and Journalism. She is currently the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UWF and an editorial intern for Ballinger Publishing. Since her sophomore year, she has been an active member of her university's Her Campus chapter. When she's not researching new stories to write articles about, she is watching knitting tutorials or obsessing over Toni Morrison.