Allison Lehr: UWF Student and Beer Brewer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWF chapter.

Major: Pre-professional biology

Hometown: Tampa, FL

Year: Class of 2017

Allison, or “Allie,” came from Tampa, Florida to attend the University of West Florida in 2013. She has been a member of the UWF swim and dive team since enrollment and is majoring in pre-professional biology. She is also in the process for applying to medical school.

However, one of the unique things about Allie is that she recently enrolled in a class offered by the UWF Kugelman Honors Program called The Art and Science of Brewing.

She says, “I was all about drinking beer for credit.”  Later, she admits brewing beer turned out to be a pretty complex process.

The class ended the semester by competing in a brewing competition where they all created their own unique brews. Allie entered her beer titled, “I can’t believe it’s not Butterbeer,” which was inspired by Harry Potter. The beer is a Belgium double flavored butterscotch and contains what she likes to call, “a touch of magic.”

The judges of the competition were from Goat Lips Chew and Brew House, a local pub in Pensacola. Allie won the competition and was awarded the opportunity to brew her beer on a large and commercial scale at Goat Lips brewery. The beer is expected to be released in October, and Allie is “beyond excited.”

Allie thinks this achievement will give her something to distinguish herself from others in medical school interviews.

Her advice to other young women on campus is that they should “never dismiss a dream as ridiculous or unattainable. If it’s something you believe in doing, dedicate yourself to your goals without self-doubt.”

Abigail is a Journalism and Political Science major minoring in Spanish. She has a penchant for puns and can't go a morning without listening to NPR's Up First podcast. You can usually find her dedicating time to class work, Her Campus, College to Congress, SGA or hammocking. Her dream job is working as a television broadcast journalist on a major news network. Down time includes TED talk binges, reading and writing. You can follow Abigail on instagram and Twitter @abi_meggs