Career

9 Professional Tips I Learned from Legally Blonde

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWF chapter.

If you’re looking for ways to excel in your career or how to find the perfect job for you, look no further than the professional tips that our favorite Delta Nu has taught us. Though she originally wanted to get into Harvard Law School in hopes of getting her ex-boyfriend back, Elle was headstrong, deep in her studies and sought all opportunities that were set before her. By putting herself first, Elle was over her ex in no time. Here are nine professional tips from Elle Woods that we can take with us in the real world.

1. Take advantage of internships. In your college career, you will probably find that some opportunities given to you will often require a letter of recommendation, a list of at least two references or both. With that being said, your professor is your greatest ally, so developing relationships with your professors is essential. For example, Professor Callahan asks Elle if she would be interested in applying for an internship at his law office. She wastes no time and jumps at this opportunity. Follow Elle’s example by participating in class discussions at least once in each of your classes or stop by to talk with your professors during their office hours. This can also help to set you apart so that your professors can get to know you on a personal level.

2. Always have your resume ready and prepared. Be prepared to beat out the competition by having a resume that is ready and prepared at all times. Be sure you have things like volunteer hours, clubs or organizations that you can include to make you stand out. You can also get creative with your resumes. The wide database of resume templates will help you tailor your resume to fit the specific job you are applying for. Or you can simply be like Elle and create your very own scented pink resume.

3. Know the proper way to deal with coworkers. Let’s face it; we all have been at a job where certain people just get under your skin. Early on in her career, Elle had to deal with a lot of naysayers and people who just wanted to give her a hard time. Through it all, she remained cordial with her coworkers no matter the circumstances. Don’t hesitate to speak with your coworker directly or your supervisor in a professional way if there is ever a major issue that needs to be addressed.

4. Always have faith in yourself. Never let anyone tell you what you can and cannot do with your life when it comes to your goals. Let us allow Elle to speak for everyone when she exceeds everyone’s expectations and states, “You must always have faith in people, and most importantly, you must always have faith in yourself.” Let your haters be your motivators.

5. Become a master at your expertise. This tip is especially helpful during the interview process to not shy away from tooting your own horn. If not, how else will a prospective boss know that you are the perfect person for the job? Throughout the movie, Elle has no shame in pointing out anything that she is good at. It is important to remain humble but that doesn’t mean that you have to downplay what you know about your expertise. You can call this one of those “if you got it, flaunt it” type of situations. Feel free to do the professional version of bend and snap in order to ace that interview.

6. Find your niche. Being able to determine what you are good at involves picking a part some of the things that you accomplished or were praised for. This can also simply mean doing something that you may find a little difficult for the average person. What made Elle so good at pursuing law was that she was able to make connections in small pieces of information that others would find meaningless. For instance, she uses her knowledge of perms to help solve a case. If you are unsure of what your niche may be, ask any of your family, friends, and fellow colleagues.

7. Find your support system. It is important to find those people in your life that will stand behind you whenever you want to reach for the stars. Be able to have a great support system that will always be there for you when the going gets tough. Those are the people who want to see you excel in life. When you look at Elle’s life, you notice her amazing group of friends that were there for her in her journey through law school.

8. Knowledge is power so never stop learning. Learn to make every day a teachable moment by keeping your head in a book. Elle finds ways to study just about anywhere whether at the library, the hair salon, and even on a treadmill. Allow yourself to brush up on things regarding your career so you can stump any question thrown your way.

9. Make time for me time. Sometimes you will find yourself in stressful situations once you have landed the job or earned a promotion. Setting aside time for yourself allows you to recuperate and give yourself a break from all of your hard work. The measures that Elle went through to make sure she had a mani-pedi went beyond just wanting to look good and became a stress reliever for her. Be able to find something such as a hobby that can help pull you through those tough times. And ladies, we all know that self-care can boost your confidence and benefit your health.

Tianna is currently attending UWF where she majors in English, Liberal Arts. She is a new writer that has tons of positivity and wit. In her free time, she enjoys listening to TED talks and obsessing over the latest skincare products.
Gina Castro is a junior at the University of West Florida where she is double majoring in English Literature and Journalism. She is currently the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UWF and an editorial intern for Ballinger Publishing. Since her sophomore year, she has been an active member of her university's Her Campus chapter. When she's not researching new stories to write articles about, she is watching knitting tutorials or obsessing over Toni Morrison.