This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWF chapter.

When I was a little girl, my mom used to tell me that I could do anything I set my mind to. As I’ve gotten older, I’ve carried that “can do” mindset with me in everything I do. Recently, I’ve noticed other women with this same mindset changing the world in a massive way. These women are shaking up the sports world and shattering the norms of male dominated sports.  Whether it’s football, basketball or racing, women are showing that we are just as capable of being successful as men. While there are many more noteworthy women, I felt that the following nine really stood out because of the amazing trail they’re blazing for young women. You can read more about these wonderful athletes by clicking on their names.

1) Becca Longo

Becca Longo is the starting kicker for Adams State, which is a Division 2 school in Colorado. Longo is the first female in history to ever receive a scholarship for football from a D1 or D2 school. She has been an inspiration for young girls all over the nation who aspire to play football.

2) Toni Harris

Toni Harris is the first female football player to be offered a scholarship for a non kicking position. She currently plays for East Los Angeles as a free safety, but she has other offers on the table to consider. She says that her “ultimate goal is to excel at a four-year university and become the first female NFL player”.

3) Hailie Deegan

Hailie Deegan recently made history by becoming the first female to win a NASCAR series race. Deegan has been on the racing scene since she was eight years old. She has raced in off road series and later transitioned to asphalt racing in 2016. She has no problem showing up the boys and takes pride in doing it.

4) Ann Meyers Drysdale

Ann Meyers Drysdale was a standout basketball player in the 70’s. She made history when she became the first female to try out and sign with an NBA team, but that wasn’t her only major accomplishment. Meyers Drysdale was also the first woman to receive a full athletic scholarship from UCLA and was a member of the first women’s basketball olympic team.

5) Manon Rheaume

Manon Rheaume was a female hockey goalie from Quebec, Canada. She came to the states to pursue professional hockey, and when the Tampa Bay Lightning needed a goalie, she came. She made history by not only being the first woman to compete in professional hockey in the U.S., but she was also the first woman to ever play a professional male contact sport. She  played only one game, but that one game was enough to show people that women were capable of stepping into the arena.

6) Mo’Ne Davis

Mo’Ne Davis burst onto the scene in 2013 when she took the mound at the Little League World Series. While she may not have been the first female to play on the diamond, she was the first African American female to ever play in the Little League World Series. Davis is still pitching, and she also plays basketball and softball.

7) Jen Welter

Jen Welter has many trailblazing firsts in the sports world. In 2014, Welter made history as the first female running back to play for a men’s professional football team. She then turned around in 2015 and made history again by becoming the first female coach to be hired by the NFL. She served as the linebacker coach for the Arizona Cardinals. She also holds a doctorate in psychology and travels around doing motivational speaking arrangements.

8) Becky Hammon

Becky Hammon is a former WNBA superstar who is breaking the molds of the male dominated sports world. Hammon is the first female to ever have an interview for an NBA head coaching position. She is also currently an assistant coach to the San Antonio Spurs, which makes her one of only three women in history to ever hold that title as well. She played professionally for the San Antonio Stars and took a trip to the Olympics as well.

I am an Exercise Science Major at the University of West Florida. I am also the Events Director for Her Campus UWF. I enjoy being outdoors, going to the beach, and doing anything that doesn't involve Biology Homework. I am very passionate about empowering women and want to do whatever I can to make women feel the best about themselves. My goal in life is to be an example to others by shining my own light in an otherwise dark world.
Gina Castro is a junior at the University of West Florida where she is double majoring in English Literature and Journalism. She is currently the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UWF and an editorial intern for Ballinger Publishing. Since her sophomore year, she has been an active member of her university's Her Campus chapter. When she's not researching new stories to write articles about, she is watching knitting tutorials or obsessing over Toni Morrison.