7 Tips to Make Your Long Distance Relationship Work

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWF chapter.

There’s only one thing you need to know about me, and that is that I am the queen of long distance. And I’m not just talking about my long distance relationship with my man who I can’t wait to see. I’m talking about constantly being thousands of miles away from all of my friends and family. I’m all over the world (literally), and I somehow make it work! I am currently in a seven-year-long relationship, and three of those years have been long distance. Also, did I mention my entire family lives in another country?

I think I have enough experience in this field to help you out. Whether you’re already in a LDR or you’re about to be in one, I have some advice for making your relationship work! So grab a snack and prepare to be enlightened.

1. Don’t let others make you feel bad 

The amount of people that are going to make fun of your LDR or tell you it will never work is overwhelming. People are bitter and hate seeing others happy, so distance yourself,  and your relationship from negative people. If I had listened to all the people that were trying to bring me down I wouldn’t’ still be with the most amazing man on the planet.

P.S. These are the same people that will later on ask you if they’ll be invited to your wedding. The nerve!

2. Make plans to see each other 

Whether it’s a quick weekend visit or the entire summer, it’s always nice to look forward to seeing your S.O. Nothing beats that moment where you first see each other again in the airport! Also, all the emotions that come from counting the days to see your S.O. again are exciting! You start getting butterflies in your stomach again, and you’re in a great mood all the time!

3. Enjoy every second together 

I cannot stress this enough. Don’t travel for hours and hours just to sit in a room and fight all day. The great thing about LDR’s is that you learn how to appreciate your time together. Once you begin a long distance relationship you realize how dumb you were before for not cherishing being physically together. So have fun and make the time you have together memorable.

4. Actually trust them

Trust is the key to a successful relationship regardless of any distance. This may sound harsh, but if you can’t trust each other, then don’t even bother being in a relationship. If they love you, they’ll be loyal whether they’re 3,000 miles away or right around the corner. And if they’re not, you better let them go!

5. Make sure you have a goal as to when the distance will end 

Whether it’s them moving to your state, you moving in with them, or both of you starting off fresh in a new city, set an end goal to look forward to. One thing I’ve learned about LDR’s is that it’s difficult to have one when you don’t see a future with that person. If you’re really serious about your S.O., talk to them about having a plan as to what will happen in the near future.

6. Don’t get boring with your S.O. 

You are both living in different places, going about your day and doing your thing, so you should definitely have plenty of things to talk about. Tell them how you totally failed that one quiz and how someone stole your parking spot. Tell them how you and your friends almost got ran over by a car, even though you are obviously exaggerating. There’s nothing more boring than a “what’s up, nothing much, you?” conversation.  And there’s nothing better than laughing with your best friend about the crazy stuff in your life.

7. Last but not least, have patience 

Believe me, I know how hard LDR’s can be, but remember the distance will eventually end. If they’re the right person, you can make it work. But remember the effort can’t be one-sided. A great relationship isn’t just going to happen, you need to work on it and give it your all, regardless of how far away you live from your S.O. And remember, if you really love each other and you know they’re the one, there’s nothing on Earth that will stop you from being together.

Cover image courtesy of Concord Private Jet