This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWF chapter.

“Nappily Ever After” is one of Netflix’s most recent additions and is based on the book of the same name by Trisha R. Thomas. The film follows a young successful black woman named Violet who is living what seems like a fairy tale life. In reality, her seemingly fairy tale life requires forced perfection in every aspect, including her hair. She spends most of her time making sure that her hair is absolutely flawless. When everything comes crashing down in her life, Violet realizes that her hair has become a symbol of her not living for herself but for everyone around her. Here are five reasons that show how “Nappily Ever After” has empowered us all.

1. It’s a made by women for women film

If you have already seen the film, then you’ll already know about some of these empowering moments in Violet’s life. Behind the scenes, a predominantly female crew was in charge of making this film as noteworthy as it is today. The director of “Nappily Ever After,” Haifa Al Mansour, has even made some empowering steps herself by becoming Saudi Arabia’s first female filmmaker.

2. Escape your comfort zone

It’s okay to be comfortable in your skin, but sometimes it’s better to explore the unknown. Violet was so busy projecting an artificial version of herself to the world that she barely even knows who she is anymore. Never be afraid to take life by the reins, take some risks and discover who you really are.

3. Ladies, you don’t always need a man

There does not have to be a constant search for the Mr. Right in your life. Having a moment to be single gives you time to go soul searching and do more of what makes you happy. Your life can still be complete with or without a man.

4. Don’t allow people to put you in a box

Throughout the film, Violet’s mother repeatedly tells her that a woman of color can’t be taken seriously when wearing her natural hair in a society that is dominated by white beauty standards. Violet begins to embody her mother’s viewpoint by gliding through the world with false confidence and straightened hair in order to be successful. It is through this exact viewpoint that Violet realizes that you don’t have to look a certain way in order to achieve true happiness and be successful in life.

5. Embrace natural beauty

This film gives a look into the world of black women and all of the challenges that they endure with wearing their natural hair. Just like Violet, women of color have often been criticized for wearing their natural hair because it doesn’t live up to society’s beauty standards. This film teaches us that beauty comes in all shapes, sizes and even hair textures. It is time to start loving yourself for who you are and not for who society wants you to be.

Tianna is currently attending UWF where she majors in English, Liberal Arts. She is a new writer that has tons of positivity and wit. In her free time, she enjoys listening to TED talks and obsessing over the latest skincare products.
Gina Castro is a junior at the University of West Florida where she is double majoring in English Literature and Journalism. She is currently the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UWF and an editorial intern for Ballinger Publishing. Since her sophomore year, she has been an active member of her university's Her Campus chapter. When she's not researching new stories to write articles about, she is watching knitting tutorials or obsessing over Toni Morrison.