5 Ways to Celebrate Easter in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWF chapter.

Nearing the end of my sophomore year of college, I am still astounded by the fact that what used to be major holidays are now almost completely overlooked on campus, especially Easter.

For those of us who do not get to visit home or go to church, baskets meant to give us a sugar rush, dying eggs and wearing fancy dresses seems to have come to an end. However, there are still some ways to keep the Easter spirit alive that don’t take very much effort.

1. Dress Up

Whether you throw on those new spring heels with that bright floral dress or take out those bunny ears from Halloween, this is the perfect opportunity to pose for your Instagram. Make your own DIY bunny ears.

http://tabithadumas.com/easter-outfits-already-in-your-closet/

2. Eat That Candy

A lot of organizations on campus have free events or tabling near Easter, which equals free candy for you. Or, wait until the day after Easter for the big sales and have some of those amazing sent-from-heaven  Reese’s Peanut Butter Eggs. Just try not to look like Augustus Gloop from “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.”

You could even try and make the candy yourself:

3. Check Your Mailbox

Did you honestly think your family and friends forgot about you? Okay, maybe they did, but many of us probably have a couple cards and even an Easter care package waiting at the school post office. Get off your butt, check the mail and let your family know how thankful you are that they still love and spoil you.

4. Go to Church

Though it might be intimidating to find a new church in your college town, with new people, not taking part in traditions that you love of is even scarier. So go out, attend Easter Mass, and take some friends with you. Need help finding somewhere to attend Mass? Click here.

If you are not “into” going to church, you can still participate in rebirth. Take the challenge to use Easter as a fresh start. Make it a time to start living healthier, focus more on your studies and work on being a better you.

5. Bring Home to You

Chances are if you are not going home for Easter then home is probably over five hours away. Not seeing your family may seriously be bumming you out. Do not hide away in your room alone all day. Instead, spend some time with friends you have not talked to in a while. They completely understand how busy you have been with classes and student organizations you are involved with.

Remember to use Skype or other programs like it to tell your family hello and that you love them. It is a great way to see each other even when you can’t be face-to-face.

P.S. It is perfectly acceptable to just watch Netflix all day while scrolling through Facebook liking your friends’ Easter activities.

Theresa is a Senior at the University of West Florida studying marine biology. She is also the HCXO (Bonding) chair for Her Campus UWF. In her free time you may find her cuddling fur babies, rereading Harry Potter books, or staring off into space. Insta: Toodledoo831
Abigail is a Journalism and Political Science major minoring in Spanish. She has a penchant for puns and can't go a morning without listening to NPR's Up First podcast. You can usually find her dedicating time to class work, Her Campus, College to Congress, SGA or hammocking. Her dream job is working as a television broadcast journalist on a major news network. Down time includes TED talk binges, reading and writing. You can follow Abigail on instagram and Twitter @abi_meggs