5 Things I Wish I Knew My Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWF chapter.

Now that I am a Sophomore in college, I see the careless mistakes I made as a freshman. They say college changes you, but I didn’t believe for a second it would turn my life upside down in four short semesters. Here are some things I wish I knew my freshman year of college.

1. School comes first

I wish I knew that school came before everything and anything even if that meant losing some friends. For me, this was the hardest thing to wrap my mind around considering you hear about all of the college memories we’re supposed to be making. What they don’t tell you is you have to work for these memories. They won’t fall into your lap or occur at the perfect time in your schedule.

2. Campus resources

I wish I knew how many resources UWF campus actually offers for its students. UWF’s library is open most nights until 2 a.m., has access to printers, textbooks and computers. These resources fulfill every college students’ needs. But it doesn’t stop here. Our campus even offers free tutors, study hours, and the writing lab, gym and career services. Every college student needs to take advantage of these resources.

3. The importance of eating healthy

I wish I knew about freshman 15. I had no idea how to eat healthy and manage my time to workout efficiently. Meal prepping my Sophomore year has helped with this tremendously, but while I had my meal plan at the commons, I wish someone told me there were healthier options than burgers and fries.

4. Self-care

I wish someone told me that I come first. College is very busy, stressful and chaotic. I wish instead of unwinding with others, I took more time to focus on myself. I should have practiced self-care by taking a bath, watching a movie or reading a book. Personal time is important for a healthy mind.

5. Cherish these years

I wish I knew how fast time moves in college. While trying to build relationships with others, commit to my studies and give myself some time to unwind, I wish I made more time to cherish the memories I was making. Time goes by fast and doesn’t last forever.

Your freshman year of college is your time to make your mark in the world. Go try new things. Talk to strangers. Be selfish. Just don’t lose sight of who you are.  

Currently attending UWF with plans of earning a BSN degree. New writer with tons of enthusiasm as well as spunk. Senior editor for Her Campus located on campus at UWF but plans to one day make her dreams come true of being a pediatric nurse.
Gina Castro is a junior at the University of West Florida where she is double majoring in English Literature and Journalism. She is currently the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UWF and an editorial intern for Ballinger Publishing. Since her sophomore year, she has been an active member of her university's Her Campus chapter. When she's not researching new stories to write articles about, she is watching knitting tutorials or obsessing over Toni Morrison.