Wellness

5 Misconceptions about Abusive Relationships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWF chapter.

October is Domestic Violence Awareness month. Abusive relationships may not be as obvious as some may believe. Individuals can be in a toxic relationship and not even know it. Here are five common misconceptions about abusive relationships.

1. Only women and girls can be the victims                                            

Despite what some may think, men can be caught up in an abusive relationship too. Men are made to seem impervious to any type of abuse. Society’s definition of masculinity prevents men from ever being seen as victims. This, in turn, may prevent a man from realizing he is in a abusive relationship.

2. Physical Abuse is the only type of Abuse

Verbally insulting someone is still abuse. If your partner or significant other is constantly saying hateful comments about you, then you are being abused. Emotional abuse is just as horrific as physical abuse. No human being deserves to be torn down when, in fact, they deserve to be built up.

3. It is the victim’s fault

If an individual finds him or herself in an abusive relationship, he or she should know that it is not his or her fault. It should never be said that the victim put themselves in a situation that resulted in abuse. Having an argument or doing something that may upset your partner is no excuse for them to physically or verbally assault you. Ultimately, it is never the victim’s fault.

4. It should not be reported

Abuse should never go unreported. If abuse is not disclosed, it can progress and possibly get worse. Anyone in an abusive relationship should acknowledge the abuse and seek aid in getting out of the relationship. A victim should not feel as if they cannot come forward.

5. I am alone in this

If you find yourself in an abusive relationship, know you are not alone. Go to a family member or a friend who can help you get out of the toxic relationship. If you do not feel comfortable with that, reach out to a resource for help.

If you believe you or someone you know is in an abusive relationship, it is crucial that you take action. No one should feel stuck in a relationship that is harmful to their wellbeing. For help, contact the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-7233 or 1-800-787-3224 (TTY).

Jasiana Edwards is a Junior at the University of West Florida. She is majoring in Biomedical Science with a minor in Psychology. Along with being a member of Her Campus, she is also an officer in UWF's American Medical Women's Association.
Gina Castro is a junior at the University of West Florida where she is double majoring in English Literature and Journalism. She is currently the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UWF and an editorial intern for Ballinger Publishing. Since her sophomore year, she has been an active member of her university's Her Campus chapter. When she's not researching new stories to write articles about, she is watching knitting tutorials or obsessing over Toni Morrison.