4 DIY Face Mask Recipes to De-Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWF chapter.

As I walk down the beauty aisle and see all the expensive face masks, I often ask myself, Can I make this at home? Of course I can, and so can you. Making face masks at home is quick, easy and so much cheaper than buying one from the store. Here are a few face mask recipes that you can try during one of your study breaks.

Hydrate

Let’s get that skin looking fresh.

Ingredients: Egg, Banana, and Avocado

Supplies: Bowl, fork, knife to cut avocado

Directions: In a bowl, mix 1 egg, 1 mashed banana, and ½ avocado. Mix until smooth. Apply to face for 15 minutes, then rinse.

Benefits: Egg has been proven to tighten and tone skin, but only for a temporary effect. Bananas are a natural exfoliate, and they are gentle on your skin. Avocados are widely known to hydrate skin, but it also helps with exfoliating.

Fight Redness

Tired of covering up those red marks with concealer?  Use this face mask to help fight against the redness.

Ingredients: Honey, Milk, Oatmeal, and Water

Supplies: Bowl, pan and spoon

Directions: In a saucepan mix ½ cup of oatmeal, ½ cup water, ½ cup milk, and 1 tablespoon of honey. Cook on medium heat for only 5 minutes, then let it cool down, and apply for 15 minutes.

Benefits: Honey makes skin feel soft. Milk is an anti-inflammatory, and this is why redness is reduced with this mask. Oatmeal is used for exfoliating the skin. Water is just used to thin out the mask a little and gives the mask a more even texture to apply.

Quick Toning

Want your skin to feel more toned? Although it’s only temporary, this one ingredient will make your skin feel tighter and toned.

Ingredients: 1 egg whites

Supplies: Bowl, and fork

Directions: In a bowl, gently mix the egg whites to desired consistency. Apply directly to face for 15 minutes. Rinse. Notice the difference.

Benefits: Egg whites have a temporary toning and tightening effect because of the drying properties in eggs. Be sure to follow up with a light moisturizer.

Moisturizer with two ingredients

Some of us suffer from dried-out skin no matter what time of year it is. With only two ingredients required, this mask is as easy as it is effective.

Ingredients: Coconut oil and cocoa powder

Supplies: Bowl and spoon

Directions: In a bowl, mix together 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, and 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder. Apply directly to face for 15 minutes, rinse, and feel that beautiful skin.

Benefits: Coconut oil is a natural moisturizer. The cocoa powder works as the exfoliation. Fight against that dry skin any time with these two simple ingredients.

Journalism major, Marketing minor. Writer and Twitter Manager for Her Campus UWF chapter. Pensacola, FL. twitter: @supp_samantha instagram: @samaaaaanthaallison
Abigail is a Journalism and Political Science major minoring in Spanish. She has a penchant for puns and can't go a morning without listening to NPR's Up First podcast. You can usually find her dedicating time to class work, Her Campus, College to Congress, SGA or hammocking. Her dream job is working as a television broadcast journalist on a major news network. Down time includes TED talk binges, reading and writing. You can follow Abigail on instagram and Twitter @abi_meggs