10 Grammar Mistakes That Make Me Want to Scream and How to Fix Them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWF chapter.

As college students, you’d think we’d be more cautious of our grammatical errors. It’s safe to say that we tend to forget all about grammar when that paper assigned a month ago is now due in two hours. I’ve read some cringe worthy papers and even just texts from friends that out-right make me want to scream at the top of my lungs. Here are some of those grammatical errors and how you can avoid them.

1. Run-on sentences 

I hate feeling like I’m running a 5K with no finish line. You know what I’m talking about, those run-on sentences that never seem to end. Reading run-on sentences makes me want to grab my inhaler. An easy way to fix to those sneaky run-ons are with semicolons, commas, and separating the sentence into two different ones!

2. To, too, two

This is an easy fix once you get the rules down. “Two” refers to numbers, “to” refers to direction, and finally “too” means “also” or “as well.” 

3. Joining words that should be separate

For some reason, we like to join words that don’t belong together. Sometimes having that space between words can change the whole meaning of what you want your audience to understand. For example the word “apart” means separated, like “the plan fell apart.” But “a part” means a piece of something. Next time double check that there’s supposed to be a space between words and if it’s actually needed.

4. How you use the word effect will affect the meaning of your sentence

Just remember affect is a verb and effect is a noun. You can’t affect your MCM by stalking him on social media, but you can enjoy the effect of butterflies in your stomach.

5. Lose your loose grammar

Every time I read a text saying “ I don’t want to loose my ID at Greg’s this Thursday night,” I think to myself maybe if my friend didn’t have a loose screw in her head she wouldn’t lose her ID.

6. Then Versus Than

Remembering how to use “then” of “than” can be tricky. When you compare two things, use the word “than.” “Then” is usually a reference to the timing of something.

7. Me or I

The easiest way to decide which word to use, either “me” or “I”, is to simply read out the sentence using each word.

For example, “He told Alexa and (me or I) to get ready for Seville.” If you take “Alexa” out of the sentence and rewrite it as “ He told me to get ready for Seville,” or “ He told I to get ready for Seville,” you know the first option is correct and not the second sentence. In the end the sentence will read, “He told Alexa and me to get ready for Seville.” Easy, right?

8. It’s gotta be that apostrophe

Apostrophes can be tricky, but not impossible. If you’re talking about something someone owns, there is no apostrophe. If the word can be split into two words then add an apostrophe. Yes girl, show off those grammar skills in that text you’ve been wanting to send to that boy who sits across from you in class. It’s that easy.

9. Your and You’re

If it belongs to you, then it is yours, “you’re” is a contraction of words “you are” not the other way around. This goes back to the last rule. If it can be split, then it needs an apostrophe!

10. Like, literally

These words get used literally all the time. But did you literally die when your professor gave you an extra assignment? We’re guessing not. Let’s refrain from overusing and abusing this word and we’ll “totes” be okay. I cringe every time “like” and “literally” are used as fillers or as a way to emphasize a statement, including when I sometimes do it! 

We’re all guilty of committing these grammar errors at one point, whether it was in a tweet or an assignment for class. With a little commitment, we can use our college education to communicate our ideas clearly and make the world a better place!

Jenny is our fearless Her Campus UWF President. She gets to call Naples, FL her hometown and Pensacola her home away from home. Jenny is majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Spanish and International Studies. When she isn't writing articles, you can find her watching The Office, petting puppies, or planning her next road trip!
Abigail is a Journalism and Political Science major minoring in Spanish. She has a penchant for puns and can't go a morning without listening to NPR's Up First podcast. You can usually find her dedicating time to class work, Her Campus, College to Congress, SGA or hammocking. Her dream job is working as a television broadcast journalist on a major news network. Down time includes TED talk binges, reading and writing. You can follow Abigail on instagram and Twitter @abi_meggs