yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
Style > Beauty

Your Fall Skin Care Coverage (Combination Skin)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWB chapter.

My Fall Skin Care Routine (Combination Skin Type)

Fall means chillier weather with still some sunny glows. Here are the products I use for my combination skin type to keep my skin moisturized and stunning for those golden-hour selfies.

Time to Take Off That Makeup

Leave the makeup wipes and love these liquid makeup removers.

My everyday makeup includes: some bronzer on the cheeks, brow powder to fill in those sparse brow areas, and several coats of waterproof mascara. I used to use makeup wipes, which took several minutes of harsh rubbing on my skin, eyelashes, and brow hairs. However, ever since I picked up a cotton pad and applied a liquid-based makeup remover, my skin has never been so thankful for such an easy makeup remover that melts down the makeup products to prevent harsh rubbing and decreases damage to eyelash and brow hair growth.

Neutrogena Oil Free Eye Makeup Remover ($7.99)

I sometimes don’t have any face makeup on, so I like to use a simple eye makeup remover that will break down my clumps of waterproof mascara. Although this product is oil free, I still feel an oil-film feel after applying. Nevertheless, you can feel this eye makeup remover soak and breakdown your stubborn eye makeup and helps wipe it off effortlessly.

Garnier SkinActive Micellar Cleansing Water All-in-1 Cleanser & Waterproof Makeup Remover ($8.99)

If you aren’t a fan of the oil-film feeling from the Neutrogena eye makeup remover, this waterproof makeup remover will change the game! I recently tried this product that I received as a part of this quarter’s Her Campus Survival Kit. I applied this product after a long night’s worth of partying and it removed my makeup so smoothly and felt light and clean on the skin. Unlike the Neutrogena eye makeup remover, this cleansing water can be used for a full face and won’t leave any residue on the skin.

Crack open the Cleansers!

Makeup removers can’t do it all. Make sure your face is squeaky clean with some of these affordable and high-end cleansers.

I switch off and on between cleansers because my skin-needs change frequently. Here are the various products that I use to make sure all makeup and dirt is gone and my skin gets a deep clean after a long day.

Eminence Clear Skin Probiotic Cleanser ($38.00)

If you’re looking to invest in a cleanser, I recommend this Eminence Clear Skin face wash. You will see a dramatic difference to your skin and any breakouts that you have. My breakouts occur all around my face so it’s nice to have such a gentle and hydrating cleanser that you know is clearing those breakouts and cleaning the skin at the same time without it being harsh or drying on the skin. 

Mario Badescu Glycolic Foaming Cleanser ($16.00)

Mario Badescu is one of my favorite skin care lines! They are reasonably priced for great quality skin-care products that cater to all different skin times. I use this cleanser 2-3 times a week to incorporate a deep, exfoliating face cleaning. This cleanser is also super fun to apply because of it’s foaming-agent. You’ll feel a deep clean that feels and smells amazing afterwards.

GlamGlow PowerCleanse Daily Dual Cleanser ($16.00)

GlamGlow is what I consider a higher-end brand. Therefore, I wouldn’t’t have bought this cleanser if it wasn’t’t on sale at Ross. I was super excited to try a GlamGlow product because of all the reviews I’ve seen and let me tell you, they did not disappoint. This cleanser works its magic right away, leaving your skin smelling amazing and super soft. The only potential con some might find is that it isn’t like regular cleansers — the cleanser is applied dry to the face and the bottle is also split in half with two different pumps: one for the mud cleanser and one for the oil cleanser. I don’t mind this however, because you can decide the consistency of the cleanser (more oil than mud, vice versa) and it’s fun to be able to mix your cleanser.

Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser ($13.99)

For those looking for an affordable, fragrance-free, drugstore cleanser, Cetaphil’s cleansers are highly recommended. It’s great for all skin-types and gets rid of greasy oils without being harsh on the skin, leaving your skin soft and hydrated. I don’t use this cleanser often, but it’s definitely a go-to when I don’t have any other cleanser with me.

Mask Those Flaws

Here are some cleansing masks that I like to use to help with breakouts, dirty pores, blackheads, and skin texture.

Muddy Body Detox Clay Mask ($23.99)

As you can see from the photo, I’ve pretty much used up this mask. This detox mask contains activated charcoal that works to get deep into your pores for a deep cleaning and leaves your skin feeling as soft as a baby’s butt! If you have fun mixing masks or like to choose your mask’s consistency then this is a fit for you. All you need is a little mixing bowl, some water, and an application brush (there is a brush that comes with your mask order), and you can add more or less water to make either a thick or thinner mask application.

FEELING BEAUTIFUL Charcoal & Black Sugar Facial Polishing Mask ($4.29)

If your skin is dry and flaky from the cold weather or your skin texture is just off, this face mask and scrub is the best exfoliant to get your skin back to being soft and smooth. My skin gets dry patches on my cheeks and around my nose, where I get the most dry skin, that can clog up my pores and produce blackheads. For that reason, I want a mask that not only provides a deep charcoal cleanse, but also one that exfoliates and removes the dry skin build-up on my problem areas, this Freeman mask is perfect for that. I love this mask, and use it regularly since it’s super affordable and lasts you a long time.

Murad Pore Extractor Pomegranate Mask ($38.00)

I just recently started to use this mask so I’m still figuring out how I like it. This mask was recommended to me by a skin care consultant at Ulta, when I asked for something that will help with my blackheads. The mask is suppose to target your pores and help extract and exfoliate for deep clean through its formula that consists of polishing microbeads and volcanic clay. It’s a great mask to apply while in the shower and to rinse when done.

Forget the dry skin flakes, stay hydrated.

Babor Skinovage Balancing Cream – For Combination Skin ($69.95)

Yes, I know. Y’all are probably shook at the price, but I promise this moisturizing cream, if you invest in it, is completely worth it. The first time I applied this moisturizer to my skin, I’m not kidding when I say I fell in love. The cream is so smooth and light on the skin and you can instantly feel how hydrating it is. In addition, the best thing is that even as hydrating as the moisturizer is, it doesn’t make your skin super oily or shiny, it’s a ‘balanced’ amount of moisture that gives you beautiful, dewy skin.

Cetaphil Daily Facial Moisturizer ($16.99)

This moisturizer lasts you a long time, is hydrating, balances your combination skin and the best part is it’s AFFORDABLE. This moisturizer also contains SPF 15 in its formula which is an added plus to protect your skin from UV rays.

Hope you have a flawless Fall!

Now that you have some options to combat those freezing fall days, I hope you and your skin are happy and hydrated. Stay beautiful, loves!

"You will either step forward into growth or step back into saftey." - Abraham Maslow Bryanna Bui attends the University of Washington, Bothell. As a first generation student with immigrant parents from Vietnam, her college pathway and future career is primarily rooted from appreciating every opportunity she is given to create a better life for not only herself , but also for others who may not have the same opportunities. She is an advocate for mental health and human rights. Majoring in media and communications studies, she loves to write and hopes once she receives her degree, her passion for writing and skills in communication will bring a voice to the voices that are often silenced and bring about awareness for social justice and change.