A Series Of Unfortunate Events: Questions That Need Answers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWB chapter.

Spoiler Alert!! This article contains spoilers from A Series of Unfortunate Events Season 2, which was released on Netflix Friday. Look away, loooookk away!

I just finished binge watching the second season of A Series of Unfortunate Events and I have so many questions. I haven’t read the books, but I know that the book readers probably have answers to all these questions, but I can’t wait until season 3 comes out and we find out what happens. So many unfortunate events happened in this season, it was terrifying. The only thing not unfortunate was the appearance of Robbie Amell. 

Do the Violet and Klaus Baudelaire survive the cliffhanger?

In the series finale, the show ends with a “cliffhanger” of Violet and Klaus Baudelaire rolling down a cliff in a trolley. Do they survive the fall? Are they rescued before the fall? Does someone rescue them or do they get themselves out? So many questions that Snicket needs to answer. 

What happened to the Quagmire triplets?

The last time we see the Quagmire triplets, Isadora and Duncan is when they fly off in a self-sustaining hot air balloon home to live up in the air forever. How long is forever? If it is anything that Snicket makes sure that we understand is that there are no happy endings in this story. So does that mean the triplets don’t live happily forever?

Who survives the fire?

Okay, so our favorite hero Jacques Snicket mentions that someone survived the fires. I don’t know if it’s just me, but I’m having a hard time believing it’s someone from the Baudelaire fire. What if it’s someone from the Quagmire fire. Or some other fire. I mean, there were a LOT of fires in this story. I could be overthinking it, but again, maybe not. Either way, we need to know who survived the fire. 

How does Lemony Snicket connect to this story?

Lemony Snicket knows everything. He’s narrating the story of the Baudelaire children from the future. So how does he know everything? How does he connect to the children? Do we even know if he is dead or alive?

Who is the mysterious woman that shows up at the carnival? 

Snicket says that he thinks that this woman is someone he knows and is very close to. All we know about this woman is that she is also a part of the VFD and was the previous fortune teller at the carnival who went to find and get back the sugar bowl. So, who is she? Is she important to the story? How does she connect to the Baudelaires?

What is the Sugar bowl??

Speaking of the sugar bowl, WHAT IS THE SUGAR BOWL? I mean, I thought it was a random object that Esmé was obsessed over because Beatrice stole it from her, but it seems like its sometime bigger. Snicket even says that this was the incident that started the series of unfortunate events that the Baudelaires are going though. So again, what is up with this sugar bowl??

Prathyusha Pillari is a 19-year-old senior at University of Washington, Bothell where she majors in Computer Science and Software Engineering. She was born in India and spent 14 years of her life there before moving to the United States. She is an advocate of women's rights and equality. She loves creative writing, traveling, driving around in her car and stalking people on Instagram.