This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWB chapter.

Self-love and self-care sound very similar but aren’t the same. You might be asking something like this: “Aren’t these just the same thing but with different names?” And that’s an astute observation! They do seem a lot alike. The key difference between the two is how they’re enacted. Self-love is a state of mind. It’s about focusing on loving who you are as a person, regardless of external factors. Self-care, on the other hand, is about the physical acts of taking care of oneself, usually prioritized over other activities. While self-care can be about taking care of yourself emotionally and mentally, it usually involves a physical act such as meditation. The difference is relatively small but critical. One is a mental act while the other is a physical act. So, knowing what the two are, what are some ways to practice self-love and self-care?

Let’s take a look:

Small Ways to Practice Self-Love:
  • Saying self-affirmations
  • Practicing avoiding negative language when talking about yourself
  • Avoiding self-deprecating humor (and maybe even replacing it with self-uplifting humor)

Small Ways to Practice Self-Care:
  • Drinking tea
  • Meditating
  • Using a face mask
  • Reading a book (for fun and not for school)
  • Listening to your favorite music
  • Eating a good meal

For more resources, check out these awesome sites:

Hopefully this helps narrow down your search for resources or encourages you to dip your toe into self-care and self-love practices. Remember, it’s always okay to do things for yourself. In a world that demands constant productivity and contributions to larger causes, sometimes taking a few moments for yourself is necessary to help you grow and maintain a balanced lifestyle.

Annika G.R. Bunney is an interdisciplinary creator focusing on traditional writing, nature-based creations, and assorted textual pieces. She is a second-year in the Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing and Poetics at the University of Washington, Bothell. Her ever-evolving work draws on classic literature, folklore, and mass media. When not working on academics, she can be found taking care of her many cats and playing with her rescue dog. She also loves wandering in the outdoors, curling up with a good book, or playing video games.