Self-Love Versus Self-Care: Where to Start

Self-love and self-care sound very similar but aren’t the same. You might be asking something like this: “Aren’t these just the same thing but with different names?” And that’s an astute observation! They do seem a lot alike. The key difference between the two is how they’re enacted. Self-love is a state of mind. It’s about focusing on loving who you are as a person, regardless of external factors. Self-care, on the other hand, is about the physical acts of taking care of oneself, usually prioritized over other activities. While self-care can be about taking care of yourself emotionally and mentally, it usually involves a physical act such as meditation. The difference is relatively small but critical. One is a mental act while the other is a physical act. So, knowing what the two are, what are some ways to practice self-love and self-care?

Let’s take a look:

Small Ways to Practice Self-Love:
  • Saying self-affirmations
  • Practicing avoiding negative language when talking about yourself
  • Avoiding self-deprecating humor (and maybe even replacing it with self-uplifting humor)

Small Ways to Practice Self-Care:
  • Drinking tea
  • Meditating
  • Using a face mask
  • Reading a book (for fun and not for school)
  • Listening to your favorite music
  • Eating a good meal

For more resources, check out these awesome sites:

Hopefully this helps narrow down your search for resources or encourages you to dip your toe into self-care and self-love practices. Remember, it’s always okay to do things for yourself. In a world that demands constant productivity and contributions to larger causes, sometimes taking a few moments for yourself is necessary to help you grow and maintain a balanced lifestyle.