This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWB chapter.

I have always wanted a piercing, more specifically a nose piercing but I wasn’t able to get one because of my job so after i left it, I made sure to get one!

As I was scrolling through instagram, one of the tattoo shops that I follow was having a summer sale on piercings and on jewelry so I went with my boyfriend to get our nose pierced.

First they have you sign papers and then you choose which piece of jewelry you’d like. Then they have you sit in the chair, this is when you decide the placing of the piercing, for the nose, the person piercing us told us that she recommended to have the piercing where the nostril folds. After deciding the placement, they sanitize the area, then use a clamp and have you breath in before they put the needle through and then breath out when it goes through.

Honestly, the pain was not as bad as I thought, it felt like someone was pinching my nose very hard or popping a pimple on your nose.

The after care is probably the hardest or most time consuming thing of the piercing experience, I decided to opt out of buying the cleaning solution, so they recommended using a cleaning solution of salt and warm water. You have to clean the area at least twice a day with a cotton swab and putting the piercing area in the solution as well. Even though I would always use a cotton swab to clean the area, my piercing did get infected so then I started putting my nose a bowl of the salt water solution, which helped a ton.

If you’re thinking about getting a piercing, I recommended if you can find any sales going on and make sure to research the company that you’re going to get your piercing and make sure that you are cleaning your piercing well.

Gloria Gonzalez-Zapata is born and raised in Seattle,Washington. Currently she is a first year student at University of Washington Bothell and is majoring in Law,Economics, and Public policy with a minor in Arabic Both of her parents are immigrants, her mother is from Panama and her father is Mexican. she also has a brother and three younger sisters. Her favorite activities are spending time with her family, volunteering, working, and especially loves to travel to learn about other countries government, culture, and language.
Prathyusha Pillari is a 19-year-old senior at University of Washington, Bothell where she majors in Computer Science and Software Engineering. She was born in India and spent 14 years of her life there before moving to the United States. She is an advocate of women's rights and equality. She loves creative writing, traveling, driving around in her car and stalking people on Instagram.