How I Was Able to Graduate Early With Two Majors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWB chapter.

While I didn’t exactly plan to graduate a year early, somehow everything was able to fit perfectly for it to happen. This is how I was able to graduate early but I want to reminded everyone reading this that, you don’t have to graduate early, it does not determine your success, graduating early isn’t for everyone, the same goes with being a double major.

Coming into my freshman year I knew I wanted to do something with law and political science therefore when I learned about the Law, Economics, and Public Policy major, I knew that’s what I wanted to major in. I quickly made a meeting with a FYPP and mapped out what classes I had to take in order to apply to my major after spring quarter. My first year I got all the requirements out of the way and applied, on top of that I was taking challenging courses that also applied to that major and did a study abroad in the school of IAS. Which I think benefited my application because it showed that I was ready to learn more about my major and that I was familiar with the IAS school.

Once I was accepted I still continued to do study abroad, this gave me extra credits that I have been able to apply to graduation requirements, having those credits not only go towards my general credit count but also fulfilled certain credits that I needed. Given this, I was able to focus on other requirements and credits that I need for my other major.

With the three study abroads I went on, I have now had to take two quarters of 20 credits and with that I’ve been able to graduate a year early with two majors. All together, if you really want to graduate early with two majors, I highly recommend constantly meeting with your advisor to make sure you’re on the right track and making sure that you follow through with that plan and laslty, figuring out other fun ways of how to reach credit requirments that may seem like you’re not actually taking a class or fufilling a requirment.  

Goodluck out there and remeber we all have our different paths and even though this article might make it seem like its easy, it has been a very exciting and stressful journey so please dont make yourself follow someone elses path that may not be fit for you. Find yourself in your journey and take your time, as long as you follow your own true self, you are on the right path. 

(Photo credit: unsplash.com)

Gloria Gonzalez-Zapata is born and raised in Seattle,Washington. Currently she is a first year student at University of Washington Bothell and is majoring in Law,Economics, and Public policy with a minor in Arabic Both of her parents are immigrants, her mother is from Panama and her father is Mexican. she also has a brother and three younger sisters. Her favorite activities are spending time with her family, volunteering, working, and especially loves to travel to learn about other countries government, culture, and language.