This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWB chapter.

Name: Stephanie Le

Hometown: Everett, WA

Major: Business

Language(s): English/Vietnamese

Year: 2019

What Womxn on campus inspires you?

Sara Ali

Why does she inspire you?

She inspires me because even though she is consistently stereotyped and discriminated against due to her Muslim-American background she still perseveres and makes sure that she is there for her students and is willing to support them no matter what. She puts her students first and understands their needs, this is something that is really rare to find, she represents what it truly means to be inclusive and to support diversity.

What are your career goals?

After college I want to own my cosmetic line/skin care line, I want to be my own boss, I think that there are not enough Womxn CEOs and especially Womxn in minority groups, I think I can help open doors and make it easier for Womxn of color to achieve the same goals.

What is some advice you would like to give for Womxn on the UWB Campus?

Never feel like you don’t have a voice because you do!

Never let anyone look down on you and always stand up for yourself.

There will always be people who will try to shut you down or make you seem small but you are not what people choose to defy you as. You have to understand that there will be people who are more privileged than you but you cannot let that stop you from succeeding in life.

What do you do on campus to inspire other students?

I am a Peer Facilitator/Teacher Assistant for Academic Transition Program and I mentor students, I love to help students who come from my similar background and I aspire to be the person that I needed when I was coming into college. I am looking forward to creating a club next year for First Generation Students on campus, I think this would be a great resource for first generation minority students.

Empowering Quote to live by:

“I have raised myself up through a world that wanted my silence I will not make this easy for you.” -Salmaelwarandy

Angelica Mendoza is a Sophomore at UW Bothell with an intended Major in Media & Communications and a minor in Diversity Studies. Pronouns are Her, Hers, Ella. She aspires to inspire Latinas and Womxn of color to challenge the way media portrays them and to break barriers that are placed in front of them because of where they come from or who they are. She wants to be a voice in the media for young womxn because we are real womxn with real stories and valid opinions! She is proud to be a xicana and loves traveling, meeting new people and going out to new places with her friends and family!
Prathyusha Pillari is a 19-year-old senior at University of Washington, Bothell where she majors in Computer Science and Software Engineering. She was born in India and spent 14 years of her life there before moving to the United States. She is an advocate of women's rights and equality. She loves creative writing, traveling, driving around in her car and stalking people on Instagram.