HCUWB Spotlight: Denisse Gonzalez-Garcia

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWB chapter.

Name: Denisse Gonzalez-Garcia

Hometown: Burien, WA

Major: Educational Studies with a Minor in Global Health

Languages Spoken: Spanish & English 

Graduating Year: 2020

What would you have liked to known going into college? 

That although college is serious, it’s never that serious. It’s okay to take a break. Listen to your body and be in touch with how you’re feeling. Everyone’s college journey looks different, there is no timeline.   

Whats your favorite book? 

My current favorite book would have to be “I love, My love” By Reyna Biddy

Being a college student requires a lot of academic reading, I found this short poem book to be one I could relate to and connect with. It was as if Reyna Biddy pieced together and beautifully worded, experiences and feelings I couldn’t articulate myself. 

Study abroad again?

I’m definitely on the lookout for another study abroad!

What keeps you motivated?

The haters, JK! Honestly, my family and my community are what keep me motivated. I often think about who I needed to see as a role model in my academic life, and what resources I needed growing up as a student of color. I strive to be that role model and help provide access to needed resources. 

If you could travel anywhere in the world where would you go? Why?

I would go to Mexico, I haven’t had the opportunity to go. It would be incredibly special to be able to experience Mexico and connect with my roots. 

Whats your go to dance move?

Something with some shoulder work and a little hair flip. 

Who has been ur fav professor and why?

My favorite professor would have to be Dr. Janelle Silva. I’ve only had her as a professor the first quarter of my first year. It was a moment I’ll never forget, from her style of teaching, to her being my first Latinx educator, I was amazed. She definitely made me feel more at home on this campus. 

Gloria Gonzalez-Zapata is born and raised in Seattle,Washington. Currently she is a first year student at University of Washington Bothell and is majoring in Law,Economics, and Public policy with a minor in Arabic Both of her parents are immigrants, her mother is from Panama and her father is Mexican. she also has a brother and three younger sisters. Her favorite activities are spending time with her family, volunteering, working, and especially loves to travel to learn about other countries government, culture, and language.
Prathyusha Pillari is a 19-year-old senior at University of Washington, Bothell where she majors in Computer Science and Software Engineering. She was born in India and spent 14 years of her life there before moving to the United States. She is an advocate of women's rights and equality. She loves creative writing, traveling, driving around in her car and stalking people on Instagram.