This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWB chapter.

Girl Power stands for female empowerment. Recent Women’s Marches have sent the message that women’s rights are human rights. The term  “Girl Power” is trending in today’s society because it is much needed, girls need equality and power. So I asked various types of young girls and women ages 5 through 50 what Girl Power meant to them. Here’s what they said:

“Girl Power means that you got to be braver than boys and being kinder than boys.” -Camilla age 5

“Girl Power means that you are more smarter than boys. You are strong and you are really nice to people.” -Rachelle, age 5

“Girl power is when girls stand for each other in times of trouble” -Maitreyee, age 10

“Girl Power means to be strong to achieve your goals.” -Kundana, age 14

“I think it means being confident and using your intelligence to better yourself and others around you.” -Shelby, Cascadia College Student, age 18

“Girls sticking together and believing they can do anything if they set their mind to it, despite what men say.” -Irene Washington State University student, age 18

“Girl Power means that girls can do anything for themselves. They can do anything they put their minds to. We don’t always need help from males to get what we want done.” -Marta, University of Portland nursing student, age 19

“Girl Power I think is being strong and confident in yourself and knowing that being a girl is just as important as being a man. I think that you’re able to achieve just as many important things, and you shouldn’t let being a girl hold you back.” -Ashley, figure skating instructor and college student, age 21

“Girl Power means you have to be confident and strong with your own opinion!” -Ellen, mom and figure skating instructor, age 35

“For me, Girl Power is believing you can do anything you want to do.” -Joey, mom and pharmacist age 46

“I’m a manager in a time where all should be equal. But I find my leadership challenged by my male colleagues. Being strong, direct, and at all times being fair to everyone gives me power, ‘Girl Power’.”  -Catherine, mom and pharmacy operations manager, age 51

So ladies, what does Girl Power mean to you?

Prathyusha Pillari is a 19-year-old senior at University of Washington, Bothell where she majors in Computer Science and Software Engineering. She was born in India and spent 14 years of her life there before moving to the United States. She is an advocate of women's rights and equality. She loves creative writing, traveling, driving around in her car and stalking people on Instagram.