Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Galentines Letter Writing & Envelope Decorating 101

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWB chapter.

I absolutely love any excuse to write letters to my friends. Letter writing is one way I practise self-care, as the activity is extremely therapeutic. 

Before I begin, I clear out my desk, put on a cheesy romantic movie (my go to is: To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before) and lay my stationary out. I often use the following pens: double ended brush, flair, and gel. I always have a ruler on my desk to make sure my writing doesn’t end up to crooked. I love hand making cards, but those often take a lot of time so sometimes I will use my Mom’s Cricut machine or I’ll just use pre-made cards

I recommend being vulnerable when writing letters. My letter writing formula is simple, I make a “love sandwich.” I start by checking in, and describing how the recipient has positively impacted my life and why that person is important to me. I reference an inside joke, or something that I know will make the reader laugh. Then I follow this up by giving a few compliments.  

When I first began letter writing  they were pretty bland, and so I turned to Pinterest for some inspiration. I started a whole board and called it “Letters.” I learned alot from Pinterest. I began mimicking some letter styles, but after a while I got the hang of it and began experimenting more and coming up with my own ideas. I have compiled a list of a few of my favorite ways to jazz letters up, so that you don’t have to go down a pinterest rabbit hole. 

• Calligraphy: Writing the recipients names in fancy calligraphy letters makes the cards look put together, and like you put a lot of effort. 

• Washi Tape: I love using washi tape to decorate the envelope. I love using a variety of sizes and patterns of strips of tape. Tip: Instead of sealing the envelope with regular, clear tape, use a fun patterned washi tape. 

• Stickers: Add stickers to make the envelope more themed/ personal. When preparing Valentines cards, I add various types of  heart stickers. Inserting new stickers inside the envelopes as a little gift for the recipients is also a great idea!

• Stamps: If you don’t have any stickers, you can also use seasonal stamps! I only have black stamp ink, so I like to use either the thin end of the brush pen or flair pens to outline the stamps on the paper as a way to add color. 

• Drawings: If you prefer to make the decorations a bit more personal, you can draw on the envelope instead.I’m not the best drawer, so I stick to drawing small hearts and stars, but if you are artistic, go crazy!

• Envelopes: Play around with the color of your envelope. You don’t have to stick to white envelopes if you don’t want to. I know of people who paint their envelopes. 

• Confetti: I love adding confetti inside an envelope, it makes for a really fun surprise. You can buy seasonal confetti, or make your own by cutting color paper. 

• Wax Seal: For the finishing touch, use a wax seal & stamp. I was pretty intimidated to try this, but it’s actually really easy and fun. 

These are just a few of my favorite ways to make the letters I write stand out. Have fun trying all of these out! Make sure to have fun, and remind those you write letters to how much you love them.

Dessirée is a fourth year student majoring in biology at UWB. She plans on becoming a physician focused on closing the gap in the quality of health care women of underrepresented minorities receive. Amongst other things, Dessirée loves baking, writing letters, music, and spending time with her family. Dessirée loves an adventure, and enjoys traveling. So far, she has lived in five different countries. She hopes that Her Campus at UWB inspires and motivates readers to live their most authentic life.