Style

Five Shops to Make Work Fashionable and Fit For Your Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWB chapter.

Five must-stop shops for affordable and stylish office outfits

Professional clothing doesn’t have to mean breaking the bank and definitely doesn’t mean you need to buy fancy clothes or brands. Internships and jobs can be enough pressure as is, so whether you’re getting ready for your first internship or just want to spice up your work wardrobe, these five stores are my go-to to make every day a slay day in the office no matter what your budget!

Note: The top affordable stores for professional clothing are thrift stores!

Before looking into any of the following stores for new clothes, be sure to visit your local thrift store such as Goodwill or Value Village to see if you can get better deals on gently-used clothes and use your money to support local efforts in supporting charities and workforce development programs.

1. Nordstrom Rack

Nordstrom Rack does have designer brands which can be pricey but if you check out their clearance racks, you’ll find deals on high quality clothes and shoes from stylish brands. I recommend shopping at Nordstrom Rack for professional shoes. With brands like Steve Madden, Calvin Klein, and SUSINA, you can find some cute flats or booties for under $50.

2. Ross, Marshalls and TJ Maxx

Photo from Forbes

Ross, TJ Maxx and Marshalls are the best store options for any affordable attire. Especially great if you’re looking for work tops, jewelry, bags and purses, these stores also have some of your favorite name-brands for lower prices than other stores.

3. Old Navy

Old Navy is slept on!!! This is my one-stop shop for my professional-wear. From cardigans, pants and to dresses Old Navy has all the clothes you need for a full outfit for the office. Old Navy is constantly having sales in-store and online. If you can’t find any deals in-store, make sure you check their clearance racks — I’ve found a couple pairs of their pretty pricey pixie work pants on a clearance rack for only $16.99 compared to $39.99 before, so you just gotta search for their savings!

4. Boohoo (online-store)

Photo from boohoo

Okay, so boohoo isn’t a store explicitly for professional wear. However, if you scroll through, you can find some cute tops, turtle necks, sweaters, trousers, and body skirts that can easily be incorporated into an office-appropriate outfit. Boohoo is super stylish and even better, they have a diverse sizing range which is perfect for any body type — they even have a whole petite collection for all my petite girls like me!

5. Zaful (online-store)

Photo from Logo Designer and Zaful

Another online store that isn’t explicitly for office-wear but if you look around you can find a couple stylish goodies. Zaful constantly has sales on their site like bulk deals of buy three get one free. I would recommend Zaful if you’re trying to find some nice sweaters and blazers for work.

All these stores can fluctuate in prices for their clothing and may not work for your budget at times, but as long as you’re searching those clearance racks and sales section, you’ll be able to find good deals on any item of clothing, shoes or accessories. Just be creative! Try mixing and matching styles for your office outfits to add some fun and don’t be afraid to be expressive of your fashion-style, work doesn’t alway have to mean plain collared shirts and slacks.

"You will either step forward into growth or step back into saftey." - Abraham Maslow Bryanna Bui attends the University of Washington, Bothell. As a first generation student with immigrant parents from Vietnam, her college pathway and future career is primarily rooted from appreciating every opportunity she is given to create a better life for not only herself , but also for others who may not have the same opportunities. She is an advocate for mental health and human rights. Majoring in media and communications studies, she loves to write and hopes once she receives her degree, her passion for writing and skills in communication will bring a voice to the voices that are often silenced and bring about awareness for social justice and change.