This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWB chapter.

Hello movie fans and Marvel fans alike! As I’m writing this, I’m watching Avengers Infinity War and am still shook every time I watch it. I have seen every single Marvel movie, and in anticipation for the next Avengers movie, I watched Captain Marvel starring Brie Larson and Samuel Jackson reprising his role as Avengers Initiative creator Nick Fury. Unfortunately for those of us in the fetal position hoping for some closure post Infinity War, Captain Marvel takes place before the Avengers even became a group. And after watching it, I definitely have some thoughts. Don’t worry, I won’t spoil too much, but I’ll clue you guys into things that shed more light onto the world of the Marvel Universe post Infinity War.

Captain Marvel follows the story of Carol Danvers who has become a member of the Kree, a society of “noble, warrior heroes” as she puts it that works to eradicate any terrorism across the galaxy. The current threat they are focusing on is the race called the Scrolls who are shape-shifters “terrorizing” other planets and becoming replacements on them. Throughout the story, Carol (nicknamed Veers as a Kree) is accessing memories that clue her into her life before she became a Kree. On a mission, she finds herself on Earth and has an encounter with a young Nick Fury who now becomes aware of extraterrestrial life beyond Earth and the existence of beings with the power to basically do a lot of damage. And as we follow this story, we learn about her past, how she got her photon, Thanos killing, powers, and a plot twist that would shake up her understanding of the world but not the entire Marvel Universe necessarily.

This movie was honestly not as exciting as I thought it would be. Because this movie is set before the first Iron Man, much of this movie is exposition and insight into how the Avengers Initiative began and how Captain Marvel will play a key role in the MCU. The movie overall was quite “eh” in that yes, it is a valuable addition to the Marvel Universe, but as a stand alone movie, I do wish it could’ve been more exciting. While the effects were great, the acting was fine, but the story itself was a little lackluster. As a whole, the movie gets a solid 6.5/10 from me.

Image credit: nbcnews.com

In terms of what this movie showed us about what this movie could mean as we get closer to Avengers Endgame, we know that like the other supers with mystical powers, the Captain’s powers came from one of the infinity stones just like Scarlet Witch and Dr. Strange. Because of the origin of her abilities, she is able to survive in space, shoot photon beams from her arms/legs, and has an overwhelming amount of super strength and resistance. If you haven’t heard already, according to the comics, she has the ability to overpower Thanos even with all of the infinity stones in his gauntlet. However, since this movie took place before anything having to really do with Thanos, we unfortunately don’t get much as to how she fits in once she has to face Thanos with the leftover Avengers. So while it’s great that with this new Captain, the Avengers have a better chance at undoing Thanos’ crazy work, we won’t find out until April 26th how the Avengers could possibly undo the damage.

Most of us already know that the Avengers we lost in Infinity War are most likely coming back because Marvel is a money maker and already has more movies lined up for the heroes lost in IW. So if your favorite was lost in IW, there’s a pretty IW, there’s a pretty big chance they’ll be back and Captain Marvel will just be another powerful addition to the team. If you saw Captain Marvel, what are your thoughts? It’s definitely great that we have another female powerhouse to add to the Marvel team, but I do wish it made more of an impact just as Wonder Woman in the DC Universe did. But overall, I hope you’re all pumped up for Avengers Endgame. And I will say, no matter how this movie goes, I’m bringing tissues because if IW had me wrecked, I feel like this movie would do the same. Thanks for reading and happy watching!

Loralyn Narvaez is a California Native who previously attended UWB. Although she currently lives back in California, she served as Head Writer for the chapter publishing articles and writing her own. She recently graduated from the University of California, San Diego with a Bachelor's Degree in Communications and a Business minor and was Campus Correspondent for HC UCSD. She is currently attending CSU Fullerton pursuing her Master's Degree in Communications. Her interests include cosmetics, fashion, food, literature, linguistics, and Asian culture.
Prathyusha Pillari is a 19-year-old senior at University of Washington, Bothell where she majors in Computer Science and Software Engineering. She was born in India and spent 14 years of her life there before moving to the United States. She is an advocate of women's rights and equality. She loves creative writing, traveling, driving around in her car and stalking people on Instagram.