This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWB chapter.

As a woman and human being, I go through normal bodily functions such as a period. The bleeding of my vagina. For all the men out there, I will tell you it sucks. For the women out there, I will tell you almost every woman feels your pain. We suffer so many side effects at least once a month for approximately seven days. To control it, though, we use a little thing called birth control. Now I’m speaking directly to the guys. Guys, if your girlfriend wants to talk about birth control, please listen to her.

Birth control in a relationship is a topic that every couple should go over because if you have reached that point where you want to be more intimate, it might be time to start thinking about it. Being a teen mom is not always an ideal situation, but it does happen. And if you don’t want to go through that, then just stay protected. With multiple methods and not just a condom.

When talking about birth control with your significant other, get a sense of their reactions. If they tell you you shouldn’t get it or are advising against it, ask them why first of all. No lame reason is gonna fly when it comes to birth control. I don’t know one reason why any significant other should govern what their partner does with their body. If you think you need it and they aren’t supportive of that, you should rethink your relationship. Honestly. No good can come from your partner trying to tell you how you should run your body.

If they aren’t rejecting the idea, then it wouldn’t hurt to just give them a simple explanation why you need it. There’s dozens of reasons why people take birth control. It could be for period pains, acne, hormone balance, or if they simply just want it to protect themselves from getting pregnant when they’re not ready. All of these reasons are valid reasons, so your SO should be respectful of them.

When it comes to the different types of birth control, do your research. Make sure if you’re considering it, you choose the one you think you can handle and/or maintain the most. When I went to get my birth control, I decided on Nexplanon which is the little tube of hormones that is inserted into my bicep and can stay in there for three years before being replaced. After first receiving it, I was fine, but the side effects were very physically taxing. It was to the point where I almost wanted to remove it. However, I talked to my doctors and they told me to take the birth control pill in conjunction with my Nexplanon to control the side effects. So far, taking the bill has been working really well. I don’t have to suffer through a period anymore, and I can go through my day without the migraines that I had constantly. If you suffer any side effects after one type of birth control, don’t be afraid to consider a second option to balance it out.

Lastly, if your partner is in full support your birth control, that’s great. You picked a good one (hopefully). Both of you should do some research about it aside from what your doctor might have told you just so you both are fully aware of what happens. Birth control in a relationship isn’t just about the women in the relationship. Men, a woman who decides to take birth control when she’s with you is because she wants to protect both of you and allow you both to have your fun without the scary idea of pregnancy. Stop taking birth control when you’re ready for that stage, but for now, stick to it if you’re really considering. Anyways, if you both research and talk about it together it’d be something interesting you both can learn about and you can both be aware of any side effects that might happen. If you’re suddenly getting migraines because of your birth control, maybe your SO can get you some things to help remedy those annoying side effects. If he goes all out to take care of you, that might solidify any doubt you had in your relationship. ;) It’d also be really funny if you quizzed them on side effects too just to see how much they care and pay attention.

This was another long one, but I hope you learned something valuable from this. Birth control is something a woman considers in her lifetime and there’s nothing wrong with it at all. If it keeps us from bleeding through our pants, so be it. Hope you enjoyed!

Loralyn Narvaez is a California Native who previously attended UWB. Although she currently lives back in California, she served as Head Writer for the chapter publishing articles and writing her own. She recently graduated from the University of California, San Diego with a Bachelor's Degree in Communications and a Business minor and was Campus Correspondent for HC UCSD. She is currently attending CSU Fullerton pursuing her Master's Degree in Communications. Her interests include cosmetics, fashion, food, literature, linguistics, and Asian culture.
Prathyusha Pillari is a 19-year-old senior at University of Washington, Bothell where she majors in Computer Science and Software Engineering. She was born in India and spent 14 years of her life there before moving to the United States. She is an advocate of women's rights and equality. She loves creative writing, traveling, driving around in her car and stalking people on Instagram.