This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWB chapter.

I’ve been an avid reader since I was a child, so it’s no surprise that I often escape to fictional worlds when the real world gets to be too much. (Seriously January felt like an entire year.) I’ve been prioritizing reading as a habit in my life which puts me in the position of having many recommendations in case you too like to visit fictional worlds. As with any book recommendation, I’d suggest that you look up any content warnings or maturity ratings to decide for yourself whether a book is a good fit for you.

The Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon (Adult Fantasy)

If you’re looking to dive into a completely different world for a while this book is a wonderful option! Its 830 pages are a lovely blend of adventure and dragons with a splash of WLW romance to tie it all together. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys epic fantasy and while its size may be daunting, it’s worth the read.

American Royals by Katherine McGee (Young Adult Romance)

What would happen if instead of becoming the first president of the United States, George Washington had accepted the offer to become king and began a dynasty of American rulers? This book answers that question. It takes place in a fictional 2020 where Princess Beatrice is next in line for the throne. When she ascends, she’ll become the first female ruler in American history. When I read this series for the first time in December, I raced through it and loved every second of it. I would recommend this to anyone who likes royal romances, contemporary fiction, and who needs a little bit of hope.

Crescent City: House of Earth and Blood by Sarah J. Maas (Adult Urban Fantasy)

I am limiting myself to only one Sarah J. Maas book this time around. While I’m a big fan of all of her work this one is special. I’ve only recently discovered the genre of urban fantasy, but I’ve fallen in love with it. This book features angels, vampires, werewolves, shapeshifters, merpeople, and even more wonderfully paranormal beings all while taking place in a modern metropolitan setting. With some heartbreaking twists and squeal-worthy romance (enemies-to-lovers for the win!), this book is a great escape. 

One To Watch by Kate Stayman-London (Adult Romance)

While this most recent season of the Bachelorette was a little weird (seriously Clare and Dale aren’t even together anymore), this book is the perfect solution! It features a plus-size fashion blogger as the main character and follows her journey as the (fictional equivalent of) the bachelorette. As a plus-size person myself, I found this to be really accurate to the struggles a plus-person faces when existing in a public space. It’s funny and sweet and I would definitely recommend this to anyone who is a fan of The Bachelor (or any of its other related series).

Wilder Girls by Rory Power (Young Adult Sci-Fi/Fantasy)

This book is one of my all-time favorites. It takes place at an isolated all-girls boarding school where a mysterious/kind of magical illness has taken root in the staff and the students. It’s not just limited to the school though, the woods outside the school’s gates have changed and so have the creatures who inhabit it. This book brings up a lot of questions about doing the “right” thing and figuring out what that even is. With a sweet WLW romance and strong bonds of friendship, this novel digs deep and hits hard.

Ivy is a junior at UWB studying Business Administration and Marketing. In her free time, she enjoys reading, bullet journaling, and spending time with her two cats. Her favorite musical is Frozen and she misses live theater.