10 Things To Do/ Visit This Summer In Seattle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWB chapter.

The Seattle area is on the homestretch of the school year, so it’s about time we start thinking out where in the world we are spending our summer. Since we’re all still broke, let’s just keep it local. Here are my top 10 picks for places you should visit in the Seattle area this summer.

Music Festivals

Some great music festivals are coming to Seattle this year like Life in Color and Paradiso. Pack up your backpacks, pick out your trendy festival outfits, and grab your friends for a great weekend of music, art, and pop culture. The lineups this year are insanely good so be sure to check for tickets online before they sell out.

Seattle Art Museum

For all the art lovers out there, the Seattle Art Museum is a great place to go for a relaxing walk among famous art pieces. This summer, the SAM is opening up three new art exhibitions, so take advantage of the summer before they switch them out once again.

Chihuly Garden and Glass

Like the SAM, the Chihuly Garden and Glass exhibit is a beautiful, instagram worthy spot to take great photos of amazing glass art. In the summer, the sun is sure to give some great lighting for some fancy shots of the abstract glass art that might give you a few more likes.

Alki Beach

Take a water taxi and head 10-15mins from downtown Seattle to Alki Beach to soak up some rays and enjoy the view. Go for a nice jog around the area, play some volleyball, or have a nice picnic under the sun. Just don’t plan to go swimming. Remember, you’re still in Seattle.

Woodland Park Zoo

Enjoy the presence of zoo animals at the Woodland Park Zoo. Since rain will be less of an issue, you can take your time on a sunny day experiencing different animals and making memories with friends or family. Especially if you have some little youngling relatives, take them for a nice trip to see some fun monkeys and elephants roaming around.

Japanese Garden

Since during the summer, we’re all recovering from the stress, it’s better to visit more relaxing places this summer. A japanese garden in Bellevue or Seattle would be great place to roam and enjoy the beauty of nature and keep your mind at ease.

Pike Place/Pier

We all know Pike Place is THE biggest touristy place to go in Seattle, so go get some free samples of some farm-fresh food. Or if you’re feeling fancy, go for a nice date a great restaurant on the pier. If you’re willing to splurge, Elliot’s Oyster House is my choice for best fancy restaurant in Seattle.

Mount Rainier National Park

Nature plays a big part in things to do in Seattle in the summer since the weather isn’t so much of a disaster. Go to Mount Rainier National Park or any park for that matter for a nice day out in the sun, picnic, or grab your bike and some friends to finally make use of the bike you’ve been hiding in your garage all school year.

Food Tour

Food tours are a fantastic and not as expensive way to try a bunch of different foods you may or may not have tried in Seattle. Go online to find a tour you can go on this summer and learn a little more about Seattle’s history as you’re chowing down on some great foods that will fill you up.

Karaoke

• Now that you and your friends have more free time, why not grab a bunch of them and go to a karaoke bar to relieve that stress with song? While you could do karaoke anytime, summer gives you the chance to go multiple times since you don’t have to worry about homework later.

Hope these inspired you to take advantage of your freedom this summer. If you went to any of these places let us know! Enjoy yourselves this summer! You deserve it!

Loralyn Narvaez is a California Native who previously attended UWB. Although she currently lives back in California, she served as Head Writer for the chapter publishing articles and writing her own. She recently graduated from the University of California, San Diego with a Bachelor's Degree in Communications and a Business minor and was Campus Correspondent for HC UCSD. She is currently attending CSU Fullerton pursuing her Master's Degree in Communications. Her interests include cosmetics, fashion, food, literature, linguistics, and Asian culture.
Prathyusha Pillari is a 19-year-old senior at University of Washington, Bothell where she majors in Computer Science and Software Engineering. She was born in India and spent 14 years of her life there before moving to the United States. She is an advocate of women's rights and equality. She loves creative writing, traveling, driving around in her car and stalking people on Instagram.