Your Ultimate Guide to Summer in Milwaukee

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

I grew up right outside of Milwaukee, and I’ve experienced the city in every season, but summer in Milwaukee is definitely the best. Here are seven unique things to do in Milwaukee during the summer!

Festivals

Besides beer and cheese, Cream City is known for its festivals. Summerfest, the world’s largest music festival, is held from June 28-July 9 this year, and for just $80 you can get access to all 11 days of ground stage music! Shows at the American Family Insurance Amphitheater have separate tickets that also allow you general admission to the festival. If music isn’t your thing, check out Pridefest, Polish Fest, Garlic Fest, Festa Italiana, and more on the Visit Milwaukee Website.

Bradford Beach

This beach is right downtown and is perfect for a day in the sun! It’s located in the East Side neighborhood on Lake Michigan, and is full of sand volleyball courts. Check out the nearby Lake Park to check out the Insta-worthy North Point Lighthouse and finish out the day with a burger and a shake from Northpoint Custard. It’s also a really great place to watch the sunrise.

Milwaukee County Zoo

The Milwaukee County Zoo is more than just a zoo. In addition to special animal shows like the Oceans of Fun Seal and Sea Lion Show and the Birds of Prey Show, you can feed the giraffes, take a train ride around the zoo, ride the Sky Safari for an aerial view of your favorite animals, and challenge your strength and balance on the ropes course and zipline. Visit between August 17th and 20th for Zoo a la Carte which features live music and tons of local food vendors!

Brewers Game

Nobody tailgates like Milwaukee Brewers fans. Pack your car with brats, beer (if you’re of age), and Baggo and get ready for a parking lot-wide party. You might not even want to leave to watch the game, but it’s definitely worth it, if only for the sausage race.

Spend the day in the Third Ward

The Third Ward is one of the coolest neighborhoods in Milwaukee. Grab a snack at the Milwaukee Public Market, and spend the afternoon checking out the cute local boutiques. My absolute favorite is Broadway Paper, a stationary lover’s paradise. For the ultimate Third Ward experience, have dinner on the roof at Café Benelux and grab a scoop of ice cream from Purple Door.

Art Museum and Discovery World

The Milwaukee Art Museum is another picture-perfect spot for Instagram (or, in my case, senior pictures). Admission is only $15 for students with ID, and it’s free every first Thursday of the month. Right next door is Discovery World, where for only $14 (with a student ID) you can visit the aquarium, play on instruments in Les Paul’s House of Sound, and learn about innovation and sustainability with hands on activities.

Riverwalk

The Riverwalk, which runs alongside the Milwaukee River, boasts amazing views of the city infused with natural beauty. Right off the Riverwalk on North Water Street is the incredible Swing Park, which features tire swings hanging underneath a bridge. If you’re looking for somewhere to eat, take the footbridge behind the park to Lakefront Brewery for great food and a brewery tour. Don’t worry if you can’t drink; their Golden Maple Root Beer is amazing. Don’t forget to take a picture with the Bronze Fonz before you leave!

Milwaukee is such a unique and interesting city, and I hope you love it as much as I do!

Sarah is a freshman in the Professional Communications program at UW-Stout. She hopes to work as a journalist after graduation. When she's not writing, she can be found reading true crime novels, hiking, or watching HGTV.
Her Campus at UW-Stout