Your Homecoming King & Queen! Hannah Mead & Sam Knodle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Name: Hannah MeadMajor: Human Development and Family StudiesConcentration: Pre-Occupational TherapyYear: SeniorHometown: Fennimore, WI and Iola, WI How much time and effort did you put into becoming queen? Besides the required activities that all candidates have to do, I made an effort to have a presence on social media. Once it was created, I spent less than an hour a day on creating content for the Facebook page. Most of my time was responding to everyone’s nice comments. Being a Homecoming Royalty candidate isn’t hard if you manage your time and ask for help when you don’t have the time or ability to do something. It’s all for fun, there’s no reason for it to consume all of your time. What type of activities did you have to do? The required activities for a Homecoming Royalty candidate include making a collage, having an interview with a panel of faculty and staff, and creating a promotion video. At first everything felt intimidating, but I ended up having a great time doing all of the activities! I am friends with many of the other candidates so although we were “competing” against one another, I really liked the support we all gave each other. How did it feel after your name was called? I don’t actually remember hearing my name being called. I don’t have stage fright, but I was a little taken aback by all of the people and the lights. I remember thinking of all the hard work that was put into the week and then all of a sudden I could hear my friends and sisters screaming in excitement. I was really, really shocked. It’s still surreal, but definitely an honor. Anyone that  you’d like to thank? There are actually a lot of people that deserve many thanks! First of all, everyone who voted and/or said encouraging words…thank you! My family has been extremely supportive and sent me many encouraging messages throughout the week. I have a lot of awesome friends as well including the rock stars that are Angie Toth, Tiffany Suen, Shelby Schuppe, Rachel Roser, and Sam Kanthak. My video wouldn’t have been complete without appearances by Larissa Wilhelm, Lissy Hunt, Eric Boots, Beau Burke, Ben Burich, Jonathan Cardenas, Sharlee LaBarge, and Brandon Hicks. Lastly, I owe it all to the amazing women of Sigma Sigma Sigma for convincing me that I should run for Homecoming Queen. If I’ve learned anything from this experience it’s that I have amazing people in my life and that I am ridiculously sappy. What was your favorite part of homecoming week? I loved all of the events going on! BDP and the Involvement Center hosted the All American Carnival and even though I was working the event, I had such a blast with the photo booth, food, and other things going on! Tri Sigma and Pi Lambda Phi also had a couple events together during the week like going to Govin’s Farm, carving pumpkins, and having a potluck dinner. It was a week that was full of fun times spent with friends, what’s not to like?

Name: Sam KnodleMajor:Applied Social ScienceYear:SeniorHometown: Neillsville Wisconsin

How much time and effort did you put into becoming King?Because I was also in charge of organizing ROTC for Homecoming, I probably put in, probably 20+ hours, both for organizing and doing royalty things.What type of activities did you have to complete?Make a collage, ( I have no idea how to spell that one), make a video, do an interview, show up to events.

Did you run into any complications?My video software was not working right, so it took me about 6 hours to make it, and trying to transport my tank.

How did you feel after they announced your name as king?Surprised, ROTC has never won king before, and years prior even when, Joshua Peterson, and even Tim Nelson ran for King and didn’t win. So It was a big surprise. Plus I didn’t think I was that well of a liked guy.Anyone you’d like to Thank?Joy Everson, she is the most wonderful, and caring women I have ever met. She takes care of us all in ROTC, and we are so happy to have her working in the program for us. With out her, ROTC and myself would be nowhere near where we are for homecoming without her.What was your favorite part of homecoming week?Just seeing all the events and the competition between groups, the battle of the ORG’s is intense!

Hey Everyone! I'm Amanda, I'm typically a sports writer, but I'm switching it up and LOVE writing for HerCampus so far! 
Her Campus at UW-Stout