Your HC Campus Correspondent, Allison Booth

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

One of the most common questions we get as Her Campus members is, “what the heck is this.” So we decided to feature one of our two Campus Correspondents, Allison to explain what it’s like to start and run a Her Campus chapter, the journey to this point, and what she plans on doing with the future of the organization. Maybe, people will start to understand a little more about Her Campus and what it takes to make it as successful as it already is!

Name: Allison Booth

Year: Sophomore

Major: Human Development Family Study

Hometown: Champlin, MN

HC: How did you get involved with Her Campus?

AB: My roommate Lo, our other CC, has been involved with Her Campus for some time now and I always followed their articles online and thought they were so much fun to read-why not be a part of the awesome organization?! Lo was offered to start a chapter of our own here at UW-Stout, she asked me to help out. Who could’ve said no to that opportunity?!

HC: Had you heard of the company prior to applying for the Campus Correspondent position?

AB: Yes, mainly from my roommate (again) but I also have stumbled across their articles prior to applying, everyone’s always posting blogs from websites and Her Campus has been several of those.

HC: What about the company drew you in and made you want to be involved?

AB: Aside from the awesome connections you get being a part of Her Campus, I was really drawn in about starting our own organization on campus. It’s been an amazing journey especially a great bonding experience with my roommate. I love that Her Campus is truly from a college student’s perspective- I wish I knew about HC when I was in high school, it’s a great way to experience college without actually experiencing it.

HC: What was the process to become a CC and a chapter like?

AB: It was all very simple, it flashed by so quickly too! It was perfect timing, over winter break; we started the application process and were accepted within a month. It’s been quite a journey not being an actually organization on campus, yet, but I think a lot of the easiness has been that Lo and I work as a team.

HC: What are your duties as a CC?

AB: As a CC you have to been well organized, you’re constantly answering questions and editing articles-all on top of writing your own and sometimes covering others’. It’s been nice having a partner in crime because we can work things out together and share the work load.

HC: What are some pros of being a CC and creating this chapter?

AB: Some pros are again, the experience. Working not only with Her Campus nationally and everyone we work through HC with, but starting a chapter with a variety of wonderful students on campus. My favorite part is how flexible we can be with HC articles, we have a fun group to work with on campus and we’ve gotten great ideas within our first month!

HC: What are some cons?

AB: A con would be time management. The days you think you’ve clocked out and realized you haven’t gotten everyone’s articles or finished your weekly report can put a damper on your agenda. Although the work load isn’t off the charts, if you stay organized and remember your to do list- it’s a breeze.

HC: What kind of plans do you have for this chapter?

AB: Some plans we have for our chapter is definitely become a recognized organization on campus, which is in play now. We want to have some campus wide events and hopefully collab with other organizations. Also we want to see a collab in our articles with some other colleges; we’re hoping to collab with UW-Madison in the future.

HC: What has been the most fulfilling thing about being a CC so far?

AB: There’s been so many fulfilling moments being a CC in just a month, it’s awesome seeing our writer’s articles being on the top article page. I love seeing how far we’ve already came and realizing I’m a part of something bigger than I imagined. I love hearing my chapter’s excitement in an article topic they have, it’s a rewarding feeling when they love being part of HC too.

HC: What advice do you have for readers who either want to be a part of Her Campus or want to create their own chapter at their school?

AB: Being a part of Her Campus is an amazing experience, if you have a passion of any level in writing or being a part of HC in a unique way- shoot for it. You won’t be upset with your result; you learn so much from HC and won’t be let down. Creating your own chapter seems very nerve wracking- I’m unsure if I didn’t feel the nerves because I had my other CC team with me or if I truly was just too excited to feel the nerves? My only advice again is, hit it head on and just go for it! Being part of HC is great, you’ll never feel lost with all the help and support HC offers.

Laura (Lo), originally from Milwaukee, WI, is an alumni of Her Campus and the University of Wisconsin - Stout. She majored in Professional Communication & Emerging Media and Strategic Communication. Lo was involved with Her Campus as a High School Journalism & Publicity Ambassador, Chapter Advisor and Campus Correspondent for HC UW-Stout. Laura is currently a Social Media Specialist for Fence Talk Digital and does freelance writing occasionally. Feel free to follow her on Twitter or add her on LinkedIn.