Why We’re Still Arguing About Feminism

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Sometimes, feminism seems like a struggle relegated to the early 1900s with women’s suffrage, and the hippie movements in the later half of that decade. There has been a lot to remind us even in the past year that feminism still has an important role today. One popular feminist advocate is Emma Watson, who was recently criticized for being photographed in a look that goes against the feminist values she fights for. That situation alone shows us that though past feminists have made great strides, the work to reach the ideal of equality is not over.

Because she’s Emma Watson, she handled the criticism with an insightful, polite, and graceful response. She first responded to the controversy, esentially saying the controversy was nonexistent. In an interview with People, Emma stated “Feminism is about giving women choice. Feminism is not a stick with which to beat other women with… It’s about equality. I really don’t know what my tits have to do with it.”

See People’s article for better quality video of this same interview.

Watson’s main point is that feminist’s values are what’s important. The ability to have a choice is vital to feminism, and Emma Watson’s wardrobe choice does not negate her feminist values of equality. It doesn’t matter how a feminist looks or dresses, because their choice of how they present their bodies is theirs. A feminist doesn’t have a specific look because a feminist looks like anyone who understands the importance of equality.

Her Campus at UW-Stout