Why We Can’t Get Enough of our Favorite Musicians and Their Songs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

We all have our favorite music because it reminds us of some specific memories of when we felt hopeless, emotionally drained, and even powerless. That music was there to help us fight through those tough situations we had in our life. Sometimes music can be our favorite because we relate to the artist’s life story. The circumstances of how they grew up touch us and somehow we start to live vicariously through them. Whenever you listen to the particular music that you listen to every day, ask yourself: “What does this song mean to me?” 

Generally, at a certain time in our life we as listeners choose who our favorite artist is. We sometimes are forced into this decision because we were exposed to the artist by someone in our family or one of our friends. When we hear the artist’s music they instantly become our favorite based on a certain song that was played to us. We felt connected to that song because it relates to how things have been in our life. Somehow it seems like in every word of that song the artist is speaking to us. 

As time goes on we support everything that artist does. We pay for their songs, we take long trips with our friends and spend money to go to their concerts. There are times when we’ll even look for other means to support that artist, even means that doesn’t involve their music, like buying their merchandise. We as fans do all these things to support our favorite artist because we are fond of that artist’s work and we appreciate them as human beings.  

There is nothing like being in a bad mood or going through a bad experience, like a bad break up or losing someone that you love to something tragic. That’s when listening to your favorite artist’s music is helpful because it can instantly make you feel better. This experience is important because sometimes there are people who don’t like to talk through their problems, and in their own way music is therapy for them. Music helps them release stress that would be hard to release doing other activities. Having favorite music can also take you through journeys that only you can experience. That’s why we have our favorite artist and favorite music because no matter what our emotional circumstance is, when our favorite music comes on it’s therapeutic for our hearts and soul. 

Her Campus at UW-Stout