This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Ferrets are the best. Sure they stink, but it doesn’t take long to get used to the smell. Plus, they’re super funny and will make you live life on your toes, literally, to avoid stepping on them. They also only need a few baths a year, once every 3 months or so. If they take any more than that then they will start to stink more because the baths dry out their skin. They sleep about 18 hours a day, 4 hours at a time and need plenty of exercise. Ferrets are a cat, a dog, and a 2-year-old wrapped into one. They’re a lot but if there’s more than one, it’s actually easier on the owner.

I have 2 ferrets, Coco and Andre. They both have completely different personalities. Coco is hyper and a total princess, but Andre is fat and gets stuck in something at least once a day and he also loves attention and cuddles. For example, he got stuck on the stairs in his cage a few times and one time he was trying to get out of his hammock and got stuck in that! Andre also loves getting baths (see below) while Coco despises anything wet. 

A lot of times I put the ferrets in the kitchen with me when I’m doing dishes and they love it. There’s a lot of things for them to climb in and under and I believe it’s their favorite place in the house to play. For example, Andre often gets stuck under one of the cabinets in our kitchen and Coco sort of looks at him like, “Really? You got stuck again?” and I laugh and pull him out then watch him go right back under. Usually, he ends up getting left there because I get tired of grabbing him. He never learns though and always ends up stuck. Coco loves exploring and will often end up behind the fridge. Sometimes, she’ll get Andre to play and they will both eventually bite my ankles to get me to play with them so I use my feet or throw water at them. 

Ferrets need to be out and playing for about 3 hours a day so I usually stick mine in their playpen while I’m doing the chores or block off a room for them to play in and it usually has to be the room I’m in because they’re very mischievous and will steal anything they can get their paws on. Sometimes my brothers Nerf bullets will be left out and Coco will take them and run across the house to hide them under the china hutch. She will run back and forth with them in her mouth as well to make us chase her and then will make a noise that sounds like she’s laughing at us.

Even though they bite my ankles and fight to get down when they’re being held, I love them with all my heart and would do anything for my fur babies.

Caitlin DiBiase

UW Stout '22

18. Bisexual. Freshman at UW Stout. HDFS major. Love writing, reading, and music. Demi Lovato, Supernatural, Riverdale.
Her Campus at UW-Stout