This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Now I don’t know about you, but I’ve had some pretty bad experiences in my dating days when it comes to double dates. It’s all fun and games when you agree to it, but after about fifteen minutes into the date, you begin to realize that you’ve made a grave mistake. 

Who loves their partner more

“Steve bought me the sweetest bouquet of flowers the other day.” “Well, Greg here built me an entire house with his bare hands!” You know where this conversation is going. As soon as one couple starts up, it will just go on for the rest of the night. And then when you split ways, you get an earful of what you don’t do enough of: “Why don’t you look into my eyes like Amy looks into Toby’s?” Cue an eye roll. 

Where the heck are we going to go?

One couple’s idea of a good double date might be at a highly expensive restaurant, while the other couple might be already planning on visiting an apple orchard. It all becomes rather awkward when you realize that your idea of a nice date may differ greatly from their idea.

The significant others may not know each other 

It’s going to be a little awkward if your partner and your best friend’s partner hardly know each other and now you’re basically forcing them on a blind date. They’ll try to talk about simple things like cars and sports but really it’s just a call for help. Please be kind to them and do not leave alone while you and your friend go to the bathroom.  

Fourth wheeling is a thing

Refrain from fourth or third wheeling someone if they may not know the other couple so well. If they are brave enough to go on a double date, they deserve some recognition.  

What are we supposed to do when one couple decides to start making out??

It doesn’t even have to be making out! It could be an intimate head nuzzle or excessive knee touching. Either way, you can bet that I am making mental notes to never double date again. The pressure is unreal. 

An annoying couple breeds disaster

Even though I am absolutely fascinated by your couple’s trip to Guam, Brenda, I did not plan to be listening to you talk about it for two hours. An annoying couple can guarantee that you will forever hate double dates.  

My friend and her partner are fighting: a Memoir 

Long story short, Amy realized that she hasn’t reminded Gavin that he never buys her flowers in a while and this double date seemed like the right place to bring it up. Excuse me while I escape out the kitchen. 

Before you even think about going on a double date, take heed my warning, and don’t say that I didn’t warn you! 

Katie is a student at UW-Stout majoring in Professional Communications and Emerging Media. Her hobbies including cuddling with her Golden Retriever, Dante, watching Netflix in her bathrobe, and of course, writing! 
Her Campus at UW-Stout