When You’re a Girl Growing Up with Brothers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

I used to beg my parents for a sister, but instead I got two brothers. When I was younger, I thought I was deprived of certain “sisterly” things, but being the only girl has its perks, too.

It’s easier to make friends with guys.

One of my brothers is only 15 months younger than me, so we grew up playing a mixture of Thomas trains and Barbies together. Early on, it meant that I liked a lot of the toys that the boys in my classes did. Now, it’s easy for me to form platonic friendships with guys because I have some of the same interests as they do and grew up surrounded by boys so I understand them a little bit better than girls with sisters.

Gross things don’t gross you out.

I’ve been farted on, sneezed on, and challenged to burping contests more times than I can count, and spent a fair amount of time out in the yard looking at bugs as a kid. Bodily fluids and creepy-crawlies don’t faze me.

You’re a little bit spoiled.

Growing up without sisters meant I was the only one that my mom took with her to the mall “just because.” She also knows my style, and when she sees something she thinks I will like while she’s out shopping on her own, she’ll pick it up for me.

You’re tough.

When we were little, my brothers and I didn’t care about the gender difference – we kicked, hit, and punched each other as hard as our tiny bodies allowed. As an adult, not only am I confident that I could at least fight off an attacker with a few well-placed kicks, I also don’t let people push me around literally or figuratively.

(Photo courtesy of Personal Creations)

They surprise you.

I’ve been going through a breakup and having a really hard time, and one night I went up to bed to find a present in my room. I thought it was from my mom, but it turns out it was from my brother! Sure, his girlfriend gave him the idea and helped him pick everything out, but it still meant a lot to me. They may be boys, but they can be decent human beings sometimes, too.

I’m glad I grew up with brothers. We may fight over everything, from what to watch on TV to who ate the last of the ice cream, but I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Sarah is a freshman in the Professional Communications program at UW-Stout. She hopes to work as a journalist after graduation. When she's not writing, she can be found reading true crime novels, hiking, or watching HGTV.
Her Campus at UW-Stout