What I’ve Learned: A Fashion Retrospective

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Prior to starting college I had a limited and naïve view of the fashion industry. I thought that majoring in fashion would be a one-way ticket to a lifetime of traveling, fashion shows, and glamour. I saw myself becoming a stylist or buyer one day, moving to New York City, and making a fortune in the industry.

College was a major wakeup call for me. I quickly learned that the fashion industry was not what I had dreamt of or seen in The Devil Wears Prada. In honor of my last Her Campus article before graduation, here is a bit of what I have learned about fashion over the years:

1. Analytical vs. Creative: While there are countless creative professions in the industry, such as stylists, fashion show producers, visual merchandisers, and photographers and filmmakers, there is a far greater need for people with strong analytical skills. Hello, Excel!

2. Not Everyone is Mean: Pop culture is constantly telling us that the fashion industry is too intense and not for the faint of heart. Guess what, no matter what career you are pursuing, there will always be some not-so-nice people. It’s important to not let those people ruin your perception of the industry.

3. Vogue is Not the Best Fashion Magazine: Believe me, years ago I was obsessed with Vogue. It is such an overhyped publication; there are so many others out there that are doing something different with fashion, aren’t filled with a million advertisements, and serve to inspire people, rather than create all these ridiculous style rules.

4. Ethical Sourcing: We need to be more conscientious and aware of where our clothes are coming from. Rather than buying a bunch of pieces from fast fashion stores every couple months, we need to support independent and local designers who are transparent in their design and production processes. Seriously, people, let’s care about the origins of our clothes!

5. Don’t Live for Fashion: Yep, I’m a fashion major and I am telling you that there is so much more to this world than fashion. Our lives should not be centered on the top ten trends for each season, who wore what on the red carpet, or who is the face of the new Chanel campaign. Yes, fashion is a part of our lives, culture, and who we are—but it should not be all-consuming.

These last two-and-a-half years of writing for Her Campus have taught me so much about style, the fashion industry, its history, and future. So, as I leave and head off to graduation, I will leave you with this last piece of advice: be creative with your style—take risks, express who you are, and wear what makes you happy every single day. And never forget that you and your style are unique and beautiful.

Abigail is a senior at the University of Wisconsin-Stout. She is majoring in Retail Merchandising and Management with a concentration in Fashion Marketing and has a double minor in Business Administration and Spanish. Aside from being a Style Writer for Her Campus, she is involved with Campus Crusade for Christ (CRU) and Street Level Ministries. In her spare time she enjoys collecting art, watching Hallmark movies with family and friends, and going on adventures. 
Her Campus at UW-Stout