What it Takes to Slay: Women & the Music Industry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

The music industry is a huge and, often times, scary place to get involved in while considering the pressures of criticism, the rise to fame, and the constant desire to create the next big thing. While this is a generalization made for musicians of all types, not even the most successful and experienced ones consider their jobs, by any means, simple. While successful male and female artists both have their similar obstacles, there is a lot that goes unnoticed about specifically being a female in the industry, and the types of criticisms they face.

Earlier this year, HC published my article that revealed sexism in the industry using the example of Krewella’s experience through conflict with Deadmau5, and everyday critics of their music. Female producers receive the most criticism based around the talent aspect, as electronic dance music is already debated on whether or not it is a genre made up of legitimate talent or skill in musicianship. As our American media culture often times reveals sexist aggressions are accredited to a more masculine-power norm and the suggestion that “men do it better,” it is no surprise that Krewella will have to continue to fight even harder for respect and acknowledgment of credibility from others to keep a title. This is seen further by taking a look at sexism revolving around the sexualization of women in the industry.

A more recent example that can be used is Nicki Minaj and her hit video single for Anaconda, which was released last year. What Minaj was conveying in the song was that, as a woman, she should be able to create a hit single that sexualizes herself on her own terms without the validation of a male voice. It is an important message of female empowerment that Minaj is destined to create successfully, yet it doesn’t seem to quite get across to a majority of the rap following so clearly. Instead, Minaj has been considered to lack self-respect and credibility in response to doing exactly what men do to women frequently in the rap industry. What this type of conflict does is raise questions as to what society views as okay when allowing people to define each other over how people are allowed to define themselves. Taking into account Minaj’s experience, it’s evident that our society is at a place where allowance of self-expression in women of the industry has been limited by criticism and over-sexualization. However, it is important to acknowledge that women still push for recognition of their capabilities in the industry regardless of the criticisms of their work.

Capability and professionalism in the industry seem to often be associated with age as well, which can often times downplay the credibility of younger artists. Willow Smith’s experience exemplifies this as she is a black, 14 year old singer that has already seen so much success beginning with her debut single Whip My Hair in 2010. Smith plays an important role in influencing young black females specifically, as well as young artists, to begin chasing their dreams and do what they’re passionate about because she has seen success for what she’s done. Unfortunately, Smith has been criticized for her intelligent and outstanding mindset on life in regards to philosophy and enlightened thinking, with her age being a factor. This criticism suggests that it is okay to still belittle young adults for having the desire to be intelligent and form beliefs of their own about the world and politics. If these criticisms continue, it will undoubtedly have a long-term affect on progression from generation to generation in achieving a more equal society.

It’s important for society to begin recognizing the influence that these women in the industry have on other women of all ages. If we begin to acknowledge that these negative criticisms on women have an affect not only on how they have to establish their careers, but also on the messages they convey to the women of the world, we can begin to support female artists more by understanding and respecting their work for how it affects their listeners.

Her Campus at UW-Stout