jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What I Learned After Living a Month In Mexico

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

This past month, I had taken it upon myself to officially step outside of my comfort zone for an entire month. Despite my families’ concerns for my life, I bought the plane tickets and I made plans to leave. As the days before leaving approached, I began to doubt this decision. “What was I thinking? I can’t just leave the country for a month!” I remember venting to my best friend as I packed enough clothes to last me a month. My main reason for going was to better my Spanish. I would be going with my boyfriend’s two sisters and we would be staying with their family in a state called Jalisco. 

During my month in Mexico, I had so many unique and wonderful experiences that I would have never been able to experience if I didn’t go. I have zero regrets about going. Here are some valuable lessons that I learned from living in Mexico.

In order to grow, you need to be uncomfortable

Almost every single day, there was a point where I was extremely uncomfortable. Whether it was with a language barrier or not understanding cultural ques, there were definitely times when I missed the comfort of my own home. However, I believe that I truly grew as a person because of it. 

Words to live by: you’ll never know if you never try

There were so many odd drinks and foods that I tried in Mexico that I felt weird about. Towards the end of my trip, I actually ended up craving most of the new foods that I originally turned down. 

Do things that scare you

Normally, I tend to be a bit of a scaredy cat when it comes to doing things that I don’t normally do. I came to the realization in Mexico that I would look a lot dumber sitting on the sidelines watching, then I would trying it out for myself. Some things that I tried (and loved) in Mexico included: riding wild horses in the mountains, playing soccer with strangers, and diving into the ocean’s waves. I don’t regret a single second of it. 

You never know the people that you will meet

I came to Mexico not knowing anyone besides the two people that I came with. I never expected to make friends with the cousins and ask the aunts for advice and crave the grandma’s cooking. It all started with me opening up a little and trying my spanish to the best of my ability without fear of striking out. 

Overall, I had an amazing experience in Mexico. Between the people that I met, the experiences that I got to do, and the memories that will last a lifetime, I am glad that I made the leap out of my comfort zone. 

Katie is a student at UW-Stout majoring in Professional Communications and Emerging Media. Her hobbies including cuddling with her Golden Retriever, Dante, watching Netflix in her bathrobe, and of course, writing! 
Her Campus at UW-Stout