What to Do and What Not to Do After the Presidential Election

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

It’s election season, and somebody has to win. Unfortunately that means somebody has to lose too. Nobody likes losing, but sometimes people can go a little overboard with their post-election disappointment, and others may celebrate a little too enthusiastically. So, here’s a handy little guide on how not to be a sore loser, or winner. 

DO express disappointment or joy.

Everybody likes to win, and nobody likes to lose, so it’s ok to feel happy or sad about the results of something as important as electing our next president. So go ahead, post how happy or sad you are, cheer, cry, whatever you gotta do.

DON’T go on an internet rampage. 

This is where being happy or upset goes too far. Nobody wants to read your five page Facebook rant about how America is going to implode because your candidate didn’t get elected. Nobody wants to read about how great your winning candidate is and how awful the other was either. Choosing a presidential candidate is a big decision, and ridiculing someone for their choices is never a good idea. So don’t go on 3 a.m. Twitter rants, don’t throw a Facebook hissy fit, and be nice. 

DO know that the President is not the only one up for election. 

The Presidential election is a big one, and is the one that gets the most publicity. But, there are hundreds more elected officials in our government that are actually MORE important than the President. After all, Congress is what makes our laws, and voter turnout for congressional elections are incredibly low compared to the Presidential election. The point is, your vote matters in more than just one election! Even if your party or candidate lost this one, there’s no reason your voice still can’t be heard. 

DO vote whenever you can. 

Seriously, just do it. 

DON’T think this is the end of the world.

I can’t stress enough how many more opportunities you have to vote outside of this election. A President doesn’t do anything without a cooperative House and Senate, so make your voice heard and elect some people to Congress that care about YOU! 

Jack is a senior at the University of Wisconsin-Stout, originally from Plymouth, Minnesota. He is majoring in Professional Communication and Emerging Media with a minor in Spanish.
Her Campus at UW-Stout