mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

Wedding Limo in New York Crashes, Killing 20 People

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Two newlywed couples among 18 other people were in a limo on Saturday in New York when the limo driver failed to stop at a stop sign. It hit an empty car and then flew into a drainage ditch, killing everyone in the car and two pedestrians. Officials say it was the worst US car crash in nearly a decade. Apparently, officials do not know what officially was the cause of the mistake, if it was a vehicle mistake or the driver’s fault. Either way, many people were affected in this terrible tragedy. 

It is still unsure whether or not the limousine was modified to look “stretched.” If that were the case, then that could have been the cause for the crash. When a car is modified to look like a limousine, there are several safety features that are taken out, such as side airbags and reinforced doors. Modified limos are banned or highly regulated in many countries. They are often called “Frankenstein Vehicles.” 

Gov. Andrew Cuomo praised the first responders who “worked through the night to help.”

“I join all New Yorkers in mourning these deaths and share in the unspeakable sorrow experienced by their families and loved ones during this extremely difficult time.”

Source: BBC News, CNN News

Katie is a student at UW-Stout majoring in Professional Communications and Emerging Media. Her hobbies including cuddling with her Golden Retriever, Dante, watching Netflix in her bathrobe, and of course, writing! 
Her Campus at UW-Stout